korean made Variax

slodge

• Members

This months Guitar Player magazine (I know, I know) has a review of the James Tyler Variax and at the end it mentions a more affordable Korean version. Anybody here have any idea what 'more affordable' means? Or any other information on these guitars?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

late reply i know but...

a) good luck getting one, theyre having major supply issues. they video blogged about it on the tyler variax blog site. my dealer told me its a 2 month backorder and thats likely through the year. so expect to pay for one, get it 2 months later. unless you want a usa that is. but thats a whole different story

b) i hear theyre great. they feel like a tyler studio. just with cheaper components. (if youve played a real tyler, this will mean something to you).

c) they do have the old variax warble issue with drop tunings. just not as bad as it was. but if you do go for harmonics, you'll notice it. there is youtube footage of someone demonstrating the issue on youtube.

d) apparently theres an issue with the switches on the 59. lots of warranty claims and customers complaining about it on the line6 forums. apparently fixed the manufacturing issues that caused it at world instruments and the problem shouldnt be in future models.

e) by more affordable, youre looking at around 1300. considering a real tyler will run you 4 grand, maybe 3800 if you have a hookup. its still a really good deal, even if you dont look at the variax side of it and just take it as an import tyler studio.

hope that answers all your questions.

Archived