The Blue Nile - can I get an amen?

• Members

no,no,no this is not new stuff....but what do I care about the date something was produced?...just a single stat...4 digits.

Minimalistic, direct, so carefully produced, poetic, restrained and emotional at the same time, not your normal melodic lines....well done, boys!! O yeah, you can hear the 80s drums and treatments...let all that pass if it bugs you, just give it tryout listen...

I think of the era these tracks came out of and of course Talking Heads is on most everyone's list demographically for type of material....you see, I could never really get into David Byrne because of the cutesy angle - there's an ego there, a little background wash of snarky elitism that just bugs me in a big way - and I realize that Byrne's voice is, however limited technically, a real force and frankly better than The Blue Nile's Paul Buchanan...but to me this stuff resonates with so much more honesty, it's humble and unassuming, unflashy and lovely to me.....

The current band that The Blue Nile seems the share some spirit with is The National, but I digress...

NOTE: embedding is blocked on the 2nd video, but just follow the link to Youtube - the sound quality is worth the hassle of clicking for the link:

[Youtube]8GVMnDjFKHw[/Youtube]

[Youtube]DImZO6SNAx4[/Youtube]

[Youtube]OX46PKi6n8k[/Youtube]

nat whilk ii

• Members

WOW Thanks.

I recorded Blue Nile in the early 90's, in Santa Barbra.

They opened for a band I was recording for Westwood One Radio.

I'll have to look up that show and see who it was with them.

I don't listen to much from the past, but this was nice today .. Thanks.

Russ

Nashville

Archived