possible to repair a cracked rosewood neck?

cerebrix

• Members

I found a guitar, thats normally crazy expensive. its new, was damaged in the store.

crack like a v on the headstock just past the nut. between the nut and the tuners. crack doesnt go all the way through as best as i can see.

is that something thats repairable? i dont know how repairable rosewood necks are.

• Members

Is the neck solid rosewood? Rosewood is quite oily and some materials will not stick to it. I know it can be glued together because Fender did it with the rosewood teles. I'd ask a pro what kind of glue to use. I'm 100% sure it can be fixed but it might require a pro to do it.

• Members

Do you mean a whole neck made from rosewood, or just the fretboard?

Necks made entirely from rosewood are pretty rare and may be tricky to glue.

If it's just the fretboard that's rosewood and the neck is made from maple or mahogany, then it sounds like it may be a fairly easy. Just google headstock or neck repair, there's loads of information and threads out there.

• Members

Why is everybody saying gluing up rosewood is somehow more difficult than gluing other woods?

How do you think big manufacturers glue all those rosewood fretboards to maple or mahogany necks? :lol:

I would advise handling it the same way you would any other neck crack. If it opens a bit more when under tension, try to inject some wood glue in there, clamp it up, clean off glue squeeze out with a damp rag, and the next day you should be good to go.

If it doesn't open it might just be a finish crack, but that is where many neck cracks happen on guitars. I'd try some paste wax around the area along with wicking in some water thin super glue as has already been suggested.

Best wishes if you decide to go forward! :)

Archived