I MUST.......

cerebrix

• Members

despite what the best marketing copy says, there's no such thing as a noiseless single coil. it's a humbucker.

Ummm.... well, then they make humbuckers that are the same size as single coils, and they sound pretty much like single coils.

• Members

I have replaced the single coils on all my guitars with noiseless variations. Couldn't deal with the hum. Then again I'm mostly a humbucker man, so it probably bothers me more than someone who started out on single coils.

A noise gate set low might indeed help, but it will alter the dynamics of your signal somewhat.

• Members

You're right, with very thorough shielding and a star ground configuration hum can be reduced...it's a bit of work though.

I have yet to hear a noiseless single coil pickup that fully reproduces the older vintage twang through a very clean Fender amp. Yes the noiseless single coil pickups can get sort of close (I have the Fender Lace units for example) but still miss the mark some.

Noise gates do not reduce hum, they simply mute the signal at a given threshold. When you start playing, there will be just as much hum as before.

The real answer is going low impedance balanced, but that does not seem likely to happen, despite Les Paul (and others) efforts in this regard.

• Members

im just forcing myself to deal with it and telling myself i can love it.

it aint easy, but if srv, hendrix, clapton, guy, and all the other strat legends made their names without noise gates, backplate systems, or any other tech tricks, then i figure, i can too.

• Members

I started with single coils 30 plus years ago and hate 60 cycle hum as much today as when I was a teenager. For all the so called purist who say you lose that glassy vintage tone or the quack,I think Clapton and Beck know a thing about tone as does Mike Eldred who also uses noiseless pups when he gigs. Yes you may sacrifice a little but it is well worth it, and get a few pedals, tweak your amp and find your own tone while keeping your sanity lol.

• Members

Clapton, Beck and Mike Eldred are welcome to use whatever they wish; that does not have to affect my decision making. In any case, the rationale for noiseless pickups while performing live is a different kettle of fish than under close scrutiny in a quiet environment.

In a very quiet environment, in a direct A/B, the original pickups in my MIJ '68 reissue Fender Strat definitely sound twangier and more traditionally Strat-like than the Fender Lace's.

The Fender Lace's have a more polished bell-like sound, and the pickups in my MIJ '68 reissue Fender Strat have a rawer, more wirery sound.

To be quite honest, I was not expecting this difference at all and I was rather surprised! This of course was through a very clean Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

Would EQ blur these differences? Perhaps a fully parametric could tune the Fender Lace's output sufficiently? Maybe...but I doubt it. Also EQ creates its own sets of problems including phase shirting.

That's why it's often better to have a signal source that is closer to what you are looking for, than to try and fix it with EQ after the fact.

Is the more basic EQ as found on guitar amps up to the task of such sound sculpting? I have not found this to be the case at all.

An interesting comparison can be made between various microphones and EQ in that I am not at all convinced (even with great parametric EQ) than a cheap microphone can be made to perform like an expensive one.

I suppose this is an open question as it relates to the future of pickup modeling.

• Members

Clapton, Beck and Mike Eldred are welcome to use whatever they wish; that does not have to affect my decision making. In any case, the rationale for noiseless pickups while performing live is a different kettle of fish than under close scrutiny in a quiet environment.

In a very quiet environment, in a direct A/B, the original pickups in my MIJ '68 reissue Fender Strat definitely sound twangier and more traditionally Strat-like than the Fender Lace's.

The Fender Lace's have a more polished bell-like sound, and the pickups in my MIJ '68 reissue Fender Strat have a rawer, more wirery sound.

To be quite honest, I was not expecting this difference at all and I was rather surprised! This of course was through a very clean Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

Would EQ blur these differences? Perhaps a fully parametric could tune the Fender Lace's output sufficiently? Maybe...but I doubt it. Also EQ creates its own sets of problems including phase shirting.

That's why it's often better to have a signal source that is closer to what you are looking for, than to try and fix it with EQ after the fact.

Is the more basic EQ as found on guitar amps up to the task of such sound sculpting? I have not found this to be the case at all.

An interesting comparison can be made between various microphones and EQ in that I am not at all convinced (even with great parametric EQ) than a cheap microphone can be made to perform like an expensive one.

I suppose this is an open question as it relates to the future of pickup modeling.

I agree with what you are saying, but there are other options besides just Fender/Lace pickups, and I think the point was that players that have "tone" that is generally admired as "good tone" achieve that tone with noiseless pickups, so the over-riding argument that 'good tone' can't come from noiseless pickups seems to be FALSE, that said- you (and many others) like the sound of a particular pickup, and the noiseless pickups have NOT sounded 'the same' so therefore you have stuck with the sound you like. That's cool. In my experience, electric guitar players are mostly copycats, all trying to believe that they are "original" - yet they cling to yesterday like a frightened child and can't decide if a tone is 'good' or not unless they compare it to something that has gone before.

• Members

My guitars are properly shielded and grounded, so I have very little trouble with hum. Honestly, unless you're playing in front of a CRT or very close to fluorescent lighting, I don't see how it would be a big problem. Just roll off the volume knob between songs.

Also, if it really bothers you, Suhr do a hum-cancelling trem cover backplate for strats.

• Members

im just forcing myself to deal with it and telling myself i can love it.

it aint easy, but if srv, hendrix, clapton, guy, and all the other strat legends made their names without noise gates, backplate systems, or any other tech tricks, then i figure, i can too.

If you only play single coils, you'll get used to it.

Archived