Opinions? Squier Jazzmaster, and Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster

Woody_in_MN

• Members

Update: Jazzmaster in the house.

Got the Squier Modified Vintage Jazzmaster today. Love the color. Its a very subtle trans butterscotch. About the only complaint so far is a small one - I want to raise up one of the PUP,s and it keeps slipping back down. I may have to drop a spacer under the PUP. It is not great on real high gain - but the bridge PUP has more of a HB sound (weird - maybe the bridge is higher output - that would make sense) and it does OK. I only had about 15 minutes to play it. The strings are ancient. I will probably have to replace the strings to get a better idea of tone. I mean so far so good. Love the color - fit and finish. Gotta explore the tone more.

Update to the Update: I think the Squier is doing great with the High Gain stuff. I played it some more tonight on my VHT Ultra. The bridge pickup sounds great on high gain. Although I find I need to dial the "depth" setting back when I play the bridge/neck together - the chording gets a bit muddy. On high gain I really like the bridge, and also the neck alone. The chords seem to get a little in-distinct when I play the bridge/neck together. Tomorrow I'll try some crunch, and cleans.

• Members

Update: Jazzmaster in the house.

Got the Squier Modified Vintage Jazzmaster today. Love the color. Its a very subtle trans butterscotch. About the only complaint so far is a small one - I want to raise up one of the PUP,s and it keeps slipping back down. I may have to drop a spacer under the PUP. It is not great on real high gain - but the bridge PUP has more of a HB sound (weird - maybe the bridge is higher output - that would make sense) and it does OK. I only had about 15 minutes to play it. The strings are ancient. I will probably have to replace the strings to get a better idea of tone. I mean so far so good. Love the color - fit and finish. Gotta explore the tone more.

Update to the Update: I think the Squier is doing great with the High Gain stuff. I played it some more tonight on my VHT Ultra. The bridge pickup sounds great on high gain. Although I find I need to dial the "depth" setting back when I play the bridge/neck together - the chording gets a bit muddy. On high gain I really like the bridge, and also the neck alone. The chords seem to get a little in-distinct when I play the bridge/neck together. Tomorrow I'll try some crunch, and cleans.

The bridge pickup is labeled "Hot" on the Squier specs. I love the neck and middle for clean and the brigdge for hi-gain also.

• Members

I spent a little more time with the Squier this afternoon. I am finding the tone controls very useful. They really help mold the sound. On most guitars I have the tone controls don't add that much - but they are really useful on the Jazzmaster. If I dial back the treble on the neck PUP, I find myself using the neck, and the middle position more often. I even find by dialing the bridge treble back a bit the tone gets a bit warmer and meaty and that appeals to me. It takes some of the twang out of the tone. Of course if you want twang - dial the treble up.

• Members

Yours must have better pots than mine......I don't mess with the tone much, but one click (yes I know the tone knob clicks and not the vol) of the volume and it's mud city on mine. Seriously thinking about wiring up 250k master volume and tone. When I play it out it's all knobs full on and my right hand is the tone control. Woody, can you record a clip? I love this axe and would love to hear what you're hearing.

Archived