Matching EQ - because this is just that cool.

• Members

Struggling to hear what is wrong with your mix/master?

Get Izotope, play a few pro tracks in a similar genre through it to get a snapshot of the EQ spectrum. Do the same with your own track. You are now being told exactly what is wrong with your mix at those times when your ears are starting to confuse you.

I'm sure many people already know about this... but it sure can help at times! It's incredibly helpful.

If people can't hear the mix themselves, they're doing it wrong and have no talent.

^ Don't worry, it's already been said for you - no need to flame.

• Members

I wrote a pretty complete article on the subject that's right here on the Harmony Central site, you might want to check it out.

There was one time when I found "curve-stealing" to be incredible. A remix had been done in Europe of one my songs, but it wasn't released because the remixer used an illegal sample and couldn't get clearance. Well, you can play that fragment relatively closely yourself and it's not a legal problem, so that's what I did. But, it just didn't work right.

When I matched the EQ curve of what I played to the illegal sample, BINGO!! It worked perfectly in the context of the song. I was blown away that just changing the EQ could make the difference between "loop doesn't work" and "loop works perfectly."

• Members

My bad, I meant to post this into the studio forum.

But yeah, it does help give a bit more perspective on what needs fixing.

Don't worry, you needn't be an asshole. I'd already preemptively posted a comment for you in the OP.

EDIT:

That article is pretty cool - it's more or less what I concluded. I often find that there's not a huge amount of difference anyhoo. I gotta emphasize how great it is to give a person some perspective with regards to commercial recordings - doing an A/B with my ears can get a bit faffy. ;p

• Members

I gotta emphasize how great it is to give a person some perspective with regards to commercial recordings - doing an A/B with my ears can get a bit faffy. ;p

It's similar to throwing channels out of phase to see where they differ when testing EQs and such. I think the most interesting part of the article is the part that talks about Freefilter, and the yellow line that shows the corrective curve being applied. If you compare what you do to a lot of different recordings and the yellow line shows, for example, that Freefilter consistently wants to pull back on the bass, that's a pretty good indication there's a problem with your room acoustics causing bass cancellation, so you boost the bass to compensate.

Similarly if the yellow line consistently shows highs being added, it could mean that you're not mixing or mastering hot enough, or the tweeter setting on your speakers could be misset. Or, it could mean the pros doing mixes spent way to much time doing FOH as kids :lol:

As to Einstein, don't worry about him. He often contributes some really useful advice, and in return, you have to put up with him thinking everybody else does crap. :)

• Members

:lol:

not every body, but those who produce, but I do not know if LordBTY produces crap. I only assume he produces crap because he said himself it needs fixing

of course I understand the euphoric feeling of LordBTY when he turn the processing on. I may test once how a club mix sounds when I match it with print of one of the best recordings of Bruckner's 7th, I'm sure it will immediately sound symphonc etic and totally majestic

keep on the good work LordBTY, one day it will pay

• Members

I often match sonic energy of a track I like with the tracks I produce, but this by working on my track until it has a similar energy. I do that with recording in the sonic quality my track needs, sound design, programming synth sounds, choosing similar energetic drum sound, programming bass sounds and so on... and not by working into the days with no sonic concept in the hope I can fix it later with some tools

• Members

My bad, I meant to post this into the studio forum.

But yeah, it does help give a bit more perspective on what needs fixing.

Don't worry, you needn't be an asshole. I'd already preemptively posted a comment for you in the OP.

EDIT:

That article is pretty cool - it's more or less what I concluded. I often find that there's not a huge amount of difference anyhoo. I gotta emphasize how great it is to give a person some perspective with regards to commercial recordings - doing an A/B with my ears can get a bit faffy. ;p

Hey im glad you posted here LordBTY, more good knowledge I can put into my kit. :)

Some people are just too :cool: to know this kind of stuff. :lol:

• Members

Trust me on this...if I'd taken the internet seriously, I wouldn't have been able to keep moderating forums for the past 17 years. :) Especially the political forum, because if you only knew about me from that, you would conclude I'm an arbitrary moron with the patience of a saint and superb moderating abilities, except for when I have lousy moderating abilities, which are either among the best or worst in the world. I'm also a liberal whose biased against conservatives except for when I'm a conservative who's biased against liberals, and I should run for president even though I'm a scurrilous piece of crap...except for when I'm a shining example of all that's good about the net.

The truth lies somewhere in between :lol:

• Members

I'm with you Craig, one should use the web with an open mind and consider the views and interests of others and either take them or leave them, of course there should be limitations, such as racism for example, that's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. :)

• Members

Trust me on this...if I'd taken the internet seriously, I wouldn't have been able to keep moderating forums for the past 17 years.
:)
Especially the political forum, because if you only knew about me from that, you would conclude I'm an arbitrary moron with the
patience of a saint
and superb moderating abilities, except for when I have lousy moderating abilities, which are either among the best or worst in the world. I'm also a liberal whose biased against conservatives except for when I'm a conservative who's biased against liberals, and I should run for president even though I'm a scurrilous piece of crap...except for when I'm a shining example of all that's good about the net.

The truth lies somewhere in between
:lol:

As long you didn't believe that I already knew all that, especially the underlined, then all is fine.

Archived