Deftones appreciation thread, and their interesting tuning

metal0822

• Members

I just wanted to make a thread to see who else out there really digs these guys. They have been at the top of my list for a while now and I cant get enough. I recently found out how he tunes his guitars and thought it was really interesting. He uses a 7 string (8 on the newest album) but began in standard tuning with a double for the high e. With each album he went down another half step, and now hes onto the 8 string, but its really just tuned like a standard 7 with the 8th string being another high e. He credits wes borland for this idea by the way.

So chime in if you dig these guys

• Members

I've listened to Deftones for a long time, and I've always appreciated Stephen Carpenter's playing, his use of open strings and his dark riffing.

I'm cool with his move to eight strings, but he's getting me to think we're reaching the logical conclusion with the "how low can you go" trend. Some of his stuff on Diamond Eyes is really stretching into bass territory. :D

I'm glad the band is back making music, and I hope Chi makes a full recovery from his accident.

[video=youtube;woAcXSMyCEw]

[video=youtube;UNLXyTBlTvk]

[video=youtube;NPzlRVXg2jU]

• Members

One of my faves for sure. When they came through on their most recent tour I was blown away by their live sound. The best sounding show i've ever been to. It was absolutely massive but at the same time it just kinda breathed. It was tough to describe, but these cats are absolute pros. Great tone, great songwriting, amazing live.

• Members

Loved the Deftones since the first album!

I just bought a 607B so I can experiment with some dropped tunings.

I don't think Steph started using 7-strings full-time until the self titled.

And on Diamond Eyes he has his 8-string tuned to F#BEADGBE.

I saw an interview with him mentioning doubling up the high-E which he said he does on his guitars which he plays the earlier material on so he can still have the 7-string feel with standard tuning.

Archived