'93 mim standard Strat tone and sustain clip

grumphh

• Members

Just to show how it does sound with all standard hardware, a totally dry clip of my '93 mex strat w. rosewood fingerboard.

Marshall 6101 preamp>mixer>digital recorder. No fx of any kind - only amp compression.

First two thirds is inbetween neck and middle position and then neck only.

The clip - two minutes of noodling

Comments on tone/sustain are welcome. (As for the playing, i know that i have never even seen Texas, so leave that out, please ;) )

- and even better would it be if you supplied clean clips (no fx please) of your strats* played with those pickup positions for comparison purposes.

*All strats/strattish guitars welcome - basically that means any guitar with SC's in the neck and middle :)

• Members

I like the way heresy sounds and looks.

[video=youtube;sAn7baRbhx4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAn7baRbhx4

Although i would never do that it is nice in all its simplicity, and if it suits your style, who am i to criticise?

....the Strat-police, that's who! :mad:

Anyway - no one here who will show me how much more sustain their new-block improved mim's have? :cry:

• Members

i could show you the increased sustain but it wouldnt be fair, new block, new saddles, titanium grub screws, humbucker, back filled body and a thicker plate.

Well, since i don't believe in any of the upgrade thingies anyway, have a go at it. :D

Just make it a clean(ish) sound like mine - and at bedroom volume max ;)

IMO the biggest difference in sustain would be from the humbucker possibly having a slightly different volume drop characteristic that would give the impression of more sustain.

Even as slow as i try to play, the longest notes i hold, are only around the 3 second mark - with the only almost to zero signal drop being the very last chord (E barre shape, fretted on the 12'th fret iirc) - but at least i still have some signal 10 seconds in. Even if that signal is pretty low.

Including one chord ringing out like mine, played on the higher side of the fretboard would be great :)

Archived