What Happened To Clock Radios?

• CMS Author

I would hate to see the end of clock radios in hotel rooms. I like to listen to music when I'm in a room. I don't like TV for background noise.

That's where this whole thing started. I tend to rearrange hotel rooms a lot and I've moved the Hilton clock radio from beside the bed to the work desk where I have my computer. Their radio has a short lead with a mini phone plug for connecting an MP3 player and, crummy as it is, it sounds better than the speakers on my computer. If the radio won't pick up the station I want to listen to (a great many won't pick up the local NPR station) I can stream the radio station from my computer and have it play back through the radioid.

• Members

I owned one of those clock radios in the 1970's, the kind where a little prong allows the chips, rotating on a wheel, bearing the number to flop into view.

I had long thought that this kind of clock was new to the 1970's.

Until I saw one from 1925-- in Deco jadeite--- working exactly the same way.

• CMS Author

I owned one of those clock radios in the 1970's, the kind where a little prong allows the chips, rotating on a wheel, bearing the number to flop into view.

I have one of those, a Sony, in my bathroom. The board that announces the trains coming and going in Penn Station in New York has the same system. Every few minutes the whole board updates and you hear about five seconds of flipping leaves.

Archived