Brand New Song

Mark L

• Members

It's entirely up to you, Craig. I'm quite intrigued to hear what you'll come up with
:)

I couldn't attach an MP3, the file was too long. So I've uploaded it to YouTube as audio-only, and here's the embed so you can listen to it.

Check it out!! I had a lot of fun doing the cover version. Consider it a tribute to your songwriting skills...I only wish I'd written it :) Sorry it's just a draft, but hey, it's good enough...like I said, I'm among friends.

[video=youtube;krkdA1E-_MM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krkdA1E-_MM

• Members
I couldn't attach an MP3, the file was too long. So I've uploaded it to YouTube as audio-only, and here's the embed so you can listen to it.

Check it out!! I had a lot of fun doing the cover version. Consider it a tribute to your songwriting skills...I only wish I'd written it :) Sorry it's just a draft, but hey, it's good enough...like I said, I'm among friends.

[video=youtube;krkdA1E-_MM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krkdA1E-_MM

That's excellent! :thu:

I'd never have thought of doing it that way. I like the acoustic guitar-only bit. Definitely hints of David Byrne in there :cool:

By the way, that's not my surname :D

• Members

:thu: Not bad for a draft Craig, sounds good, great engineering, I reckon a nice guitar lead/harmony section would go well. ;)

Like you said it is a great song to work on, and probably would sound great, done many different ways, I think Mark is a talented song writer, he has given me some extra inspiration, since I have heard his work. :)

• Members

Since aside from Electrochrisso we seem to have this thread to ourselves, I just wanted to give you an update...I've started doing a proper mix, not just a reference mix like the one I posted where all the faders are at the same level. Also most of the tracks were panned to center (I think I've mentioned here that I like to start a mix in mono because if I can get the instruments separated in mono, they acquire tremendous space in stereo).

Changing the dynamics of the guitar parts and the harmonies, as well as opening up the stereo image, makes a huge difference. I also fixed some of the pitch issues with the vocals, and created an artificial second acoustic guitar part so they'd really ring out when the "C" part hits. I also found a few glitches in the tracks, like some overlapping MIDI data for bass that screwed it up. It will probably take me a week to finish the mix, but I think you'll really like how it adds yet another dimension to your song.

The fact that "Black Market Daydreams" sounds decent as a reference mix is a tribute to the song (as I said, it's pretty indestructible), but hopefully the mixed version will also be a tribute to a good mix!

• Members

Since aside from Electrochrisso we seem to have this thread to ourselves, I just wanted to give you an update...I've started doing a proper mix, not just a reference mix like the one I posted where all the faders are at the same level. Also most of the tracks were panned to center (I think I've mentioned here that I like to start a mix in mono because if I can get the instruments separated in mono, they acquire tremendous space in stereo).

Changing the dynamics of the guitar parts and the harmonies, as well as opening up the stereo image, makes a huge difference. I also fixed some of the pitch issues with the vocals, and created an artificial second acoustic guitar part so they'd really ring out when the "C" part hits. I also found a few glitches in the tracks, like some overlapping MIDI data for bass that screwed it up. It will probably take me a week to finish the mix, but I think you'll really like how it adds yet another dimension to your song.

The fact that "Black Market Daydreams" sounds decent as a reference mix is a tribute to the song (as I said, it's pretty indestructible), but hopefully the mixed version will also be a tribute to a good mix!

Blimey, Craig, you're spending more time and effort on my song than I did myself! :D

Looking forward to hearing the finished product :thu:

• Members

Blimey, Craig, you're spending more time and effort on my song than I did myself!
:D

Well, I'm not going to be taking a week as in working every day, more like there's lots of stuff I have to do and I'll work on the mix a piece at a time. It will probably be a few hours total.

• Members

Well, I'm not going to be taking a week as in working every day, more like there's lots of stuff I have to do and I'll work on the mix a piece at a time. It will probably be a few hours total.

I know. I was just taking the mickey out of myself ;)

Archived