I think Sonar X2 might be IT.

roomjello

• Members

Craig,

Please forgive my entry in your Sonar forum post.

Sorry - couldn't resist. But as stated, I don't think there is anything wrong with continuing to point out that the SV is limited and has not seen any improvements.

The least Cakewalk could do would be to implement benstat's Sonar Plus's (mostly cosmetic and usability) features to the SV - after all, they hired the guy!

Also, I realize this is the wrong thread, but I saw MOTU's Performer 8's feature page - http://www.motu.com/products/software/dp/features.html

May I say holy cr@p.

I don't suppose Performer has support for Acid Loops? Can you even "roll out" audio / MIDI clips?

• Members

Craig,

Please forgive my entry in your Sonar forum post.

Sorry - couldn't resist. But as stated, I don't think there is anything wrong with continuing to point out that the SV is limited and has not seen any improvements.

But remember my SOS column is written for people who already have Sonar. Presumably, they are aware of any limitations.

I don't suppose Performer has support for Acid Loops? Can you even "roll out" audio / MIDI clips?

I've loaded Acidized files into the Mac version and they've always been parsed correctly, although (like Cubase etc.) you can't edit them. So, if the Acidization sucks, DP will faithfully reproduce the sucky Acidization. AFAIK the only programs that can edit Acidizined files remains Acid and Sonar.

• Members

I've loaded Acidized files into the Mac version and they've always been parsed correctly, although (like Cubase etc.) you can't edit them. So, if the Acidization sucks, DP will faithfully reproduce the sucky Acidization. AFAIK the only programs that can edit Acidizined files remains Acid and Sonar.

So even though you cannot edit Acid files in DP, will they follow changes in tempo? I don't suppose you can change their pitch... that would be a form of editing... - use Sonar to edit the Acid files :lol:

Man, otherwise, it looks like DP8 has it going on! Of course version 8 for Windows 7 isn't even out.

• Members

That's why you are the Master, and I am the glasshopper. I read it as if it were going to be a review.
:facepalm:

Understood, I usually don't review Sonar in SOS because I think there are some people there who use it and want the chance to play with it :) But think about it: writing that Sound on Sound column is a helluva deal...I get paid to find out neat stuff to do with a program I use. How cool is that?

So even though you cannot edit Acid files in DP, will they follow changes in tempo?

Yes they will, as long as you have "Conform to tempo" checked in preferences when you bring the file in. At that point, it will also follow tempo changes. So will REX files.

I don't suppose you can change their pitch... that would be a form of editing...

Hmmm...don't know if there are key change markers like with Sonar or Acid. I'll have to find out.

Man, otherwise, it looks like DP8 has it going on! Of course version 8 for Windows 7 isn't even out.

I think people may be surprised at the degree of acceptance DP8 will get. Every program has its target market. For Sonar, it's people who compose using a staff view (KIDDING!!). For DP, it's people who work with video. I think a lot of Windows-based video types will take to DP 8.

Archived