boutique tune-o-matics

pogo97

• Members

A follow-up. I just put on a roller bridge; don't know what brand.

There is an immediate and significant change in tone; much silkier... smoother-sounding. I like this.

My thinking is that on the original bridge, the strings stick in position, therefore the vibration of the string is both rocking the bridge back and forth and pushing it up and down. With the roller bridge, the rocking is reduced on the bridge and more rocking motion is transferred to the tailpiece; thus a different sound. I'll do some adjusting of the tailpiece height but, in general, I like this change a lot.

• Members

I had Tone Pros on my Sherry and liked them a lot. No rattles, easier to intonate and hold, no falling off during string changes. If I ever bought another guitar that needed a bridge upgrade, yeah I'd go with Tone Pro again.

I put Tone Pros in my Xaviere. Agreed, noticeable improvement in all areas.

• Members

I have an Epiphone Dot and the hardware is, quite reasonably, Chevy rather than Cadillac quality.

If I decide to upgrade this guitar (which plays and sounds very good), the bridge would be the first thing to go. Not that it doesn't work but that the fit & finish are only okay; just bare-bones functional.

It seems that there are folks who would be delighted to sell me a new tune-o-matic for anything from $50 to $200 (or more, maybe).

Any comments on where the best values are? Experience in great improvements in tone (or not) after putting in a new tune-o-matic?

What a great avatar! I grew up reading "Pogo" everyday in the newspapers. Walt Kelly made fun of everyone in politics. He even had and RFK wind-up doll. After RFK was murdered, while he didn't use that image anymore, he said RFK always had a great sense of humor about such things. He had a vicious, nasty character name Simple J. Malarkey, a swamp cat that looked suspiciously like Sen. Joseph McCarthy, and a groundhog in a white uniform who looked like Spiro Agnew. Everyone spoke in Okiefenokie-ese, which is how "We have met the enemy and he is ours" got mangled into "We have met th' enemy, and he is us!"

A personal favorite was "Nuclear fission ain't so new and ain't so clear"

• Members

What a great avatar! I grew up reading "Pogo" everyday in the newspapers. Walt Kelly made fun of everyone in politics. He even had and RFK wind-up doll. After RFK was murdered, while he didn't use that image anymore, he said RFK always had a great sense of humor about such things. He had a vicious, nasty character name Simple J. Malarkey, a swamp cat that looked suspiciously like Sen. Joseph McCarthy, and a groundhog in a white uniform who looked like Spiro Agnew. Everyone spoke in Okiefenokie-ese, which is how "We have met the enemy and he is ours" got mangled into "We have met th' enemy, and he is us!"

A personal favorite was "Nuclear fission ain't so new and ain't so clear"

Pogo is my hero and role model. I'm actually, though, more like Porky Pine.

• Members

Roller bridge is the way to go. no more broken strings at the bridge, easy to adjust intonation, feels smoother and sounds great to me. I put one on my studio and love it.

26841_1378494696854_1066482185_1147621_2

This. There's one that came stock on my LP Florentine. Honestly, I don't think my LP should be a special edition, it has everything a LP SHOULD have. Easier upper fret access, locking tuners and a roller bridge. I also love the asymmetrical neck.

Sorry, just falling more and more in love as I get better at playing.

Archived