So what Strat should I buy?

honeyiscool

• Members

Don't let anybody dog you about the 7.25" radius thing. It sounds ridiculous to some, but I'm the same way. I can't play anything quite the same way I can my Thinline. Vintage frets too. I want a second guitar with some more chunk to the sound, but I'm leery of anything but a Fender neck with the above specifications. 9.5" and medium-jumbos just don't do it for me. Don't even get me started on Gibson/Epiphone necks. Hell, even the last time I played a Ric, which should theoretically be my dream guitar, I hated the way it felt. :cry:

• Members

I like several different kinds of neck, actually.

I actually quite like 9.5" medium jumbo necks, but it's gotta have a bit of chunk, nothing too obscenely thin. I like one-piece satin maple necks if it's 9.5". Light gloss is fine. High gloss feels gross.

For 7.25" vintage, I've only tried glossy maple necks with rosewood fretboard, and it feels divine to me. I also like it very thin. It's simply the most comfortable for my style of playing.

I also like a 60s style Gibson neck (12" radius?), especially with ebony fretboard and medium frets. Great for scales and runs and such.

Archived