Cool SSS Strat wiring mods with no additional parts?

SrMeowMeow

• Members

Anyone know any creative ways to rewire a Strat just using three pickups, three pots, a 5-way switch and the jack? Right now I have mine set up with a master volume, parallel blend, and series blend. Of course, it doesn't work yet, but I want more ideas. :D

• Members

Not sure on the 'volume kit' but I've heard the 'treble bleed' mod referred to as a few different things... it lets you roll the volume down without cutting as much treble as it usually does. I like the treble bleed for humbuckers, but not so much for single coils, mostly because a big part of how I get 'my' single coil tone is knocking the volume down a bit with the expected result of taking some treble off as well... it seems different than just turning the tone down.

• Members

The way I have my blender pot wired, which is using the instructions from mojotone.com, is that when the bridge pickup is selected in the last selector switch position, when the pot is on zero, I get 100% bridge pickup like in a normal start. At 100%, I get a 50-50 mix of bridge and neck pickup. Values in-between give varying degrees of neck addition. The same is true in the next position where I have the bridge and middle pickup active, and I can add neck if I want. Neck settings do the same thing, only it is bridge pickup that is added. One of the coolest mods you can do to a start, IMHO.

A volume kit is a cap that allows you to decrease the volume of the guitar without losing highs and getting muddy. It cost like pennies to install and is great if you control you amp drive with the guitar volume.

• Members

i tried honey's "swap the neck and middle pickups" mod before and dug it quite a bit. you just physically swap the two pickups, leaving them wired as is. the middle + bridge is nifty sounding when they're spaced so far apart.

i also like to make the tone knob for my neck pickup also control the tone for the bridge pickup (some people make the middle pickups tone control also the control the bridge, but i dig being able to mix tones on M+B)

blends are cool too. there's a lot you can do to a strat without having to buy more parts

• Members

Not sure on the 'volume kit' but I've heard the 'treble bleed' mod referred to as a few different things... it lets you roll the volume down without cutting as much treble as it usually does. I like the treble bleed for humbuckers, but not so much for single coils, mostly because a big part of how I get 'my' single coil tone is knocking the volume down a bit with the expected result of taking some treble off as well... it seems different than just turning the tone down.

I'm just the opposite - I do treble bleeds on my single coils and not usually on humbuckers. I did on on my La Cabro with the Filtertrons because that really needed it.

• Members

There's also the bass cut knob, which I always install. It requires one more cap but it lets you dial out some of the bass/body of the sound, which is nice on a high gain setting as it cleans up the sound very nicely.

do you have a schematic? i've never tried this and i can get caps for free as my buddy works in electronics

• Members

The way I have my blender pot wired, which is using the instructions from mojotone.com, is that when the bridge pickup is selected in the last selector switch position, when the pot is on zero, I get 100% bridge pickup like in a normal start. At 100%, I get a 50-50 mix of bridge and neck pickup. Values in-between give varying degrees of neck addition. The same is true in the next position where I have the bridge and middle pickup active, and I can add neck if I want. Neck settings do the same thing, only it is bridge pickup that is added. One of the coolest mods you can do to a start, IMHO.

A volume kit is a cap that allows you to decrease the volume of the guitar without losing highs and getting muddy. It cost like pennies to install and is great if you control you amp drive with the guitar volume.

Do you have a link to the monotone.com instructions? I can't find anything at that link.

EDIT: I see your edit. :p

• Members

I still don't understand. So, say I'm at position 1 (bridge only), and I start the blender knob at 0. What's happening then? What about blender at 10?

The blender pot is essentially a pan pot. With the Fralin wiring schematic I posted, the blender pot will work in any position that the neck or bridge pickups are utilized. So if you are in the 2 or 4 notch positions, you can mix the bridge or neck into it. :thu:

Archived