Is it possible to sell one's music without 'the usual marketing'?

Mark L

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley

View Post

I agree with Electrochrisso...

I think I shared this several times on this forum so excuse me if I`m repeating myself but I think its worth hearing again. I was offered a contract around 7 years ago from a very large TV network that is known for Music... you can sort of think of it as Music TV if you wish... wink.gif

The contract was only 3 pages long but I needed a translator so I payed a music business attorney $250 to do so. (He was referred to me by a friend who is also an attorney) Anyway, he read the contract and spoke to me via phone, advised me not to sign it because I was basically giving my music away forever. I would receive something like $.02 every time my stuff was played on this network and the kicker, I was no longer allowed to play this music live. What was the point?

Now, I have to be honest, the ego part of me really, really wanted to sign the contract because I wanted this network to use my music. I mean seriously, how cool would it have been to turn to that network every now and then and say, "That`s my music!" I was so disappointed after that phone call. What I`m getting at is, it may be worth your $$$, to put out a couple of $$$ and have an independent attorney look at the contracts before you sign. It may be too late for the contract you already signed but for the future.

What would really suck is that the contract states something like you give up all publishing and the royalty split is skewed the other way.... when you`re losing massive amounts of $$$, it may be worth that initial $$$ up front with an attorney looking out for your best interests.

Quote Originally Posted by electrochrisso

View Post

It wont cost as much as you might think, Like Ernest explained, and think of all the washed out rockers that are kicking themselves years later, because their ego and boozed out minds prevented them from thinking properly, and sharks stole thier rights from under their noses, and are living the life of Riley. facepalm.gif

Thanks, guys. I'll see how it goes. All that legal {censored} stresses me out. It's all a bit grown-up and serious. I'm really a child trapped in a man's body redface.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MarkydeSad

View Post

Thanks, guys. I'll see how it goes. All that legal {censored} stresses me out. It's all a bit grown-up and serious. I'm really a child trapped in a man's body redface.gif

Yeah, I hate it too. Understand this though, it`s not a grown up thing, its a business thing. The people that are looking to sell your music want to make money. That`s it. They may like you as a person too but at the end of the day, the reason they`re putting in the time to help you is most likely because they see some $$$ to be made.

In an ideal world, everyone is out to help each other but that seems to be the opposite many a time and its sad, but its true. Hence, the invention of attorneys.

Archived