deleted

LesPaulSpecial1981

• Members

I wouldn't pay $500 for that. Bolt on neck. Not the quality of the beautiful Artist models or the other original Ibanez designs from that time. I think of these as cheap LP copies that have somehow fallen under the umbrella of great Japanese guitars. Maybe some others will differ, but to me they are $200-$250, and that's if you just have to have it.

• Members

I'm by no means an Ibanez authority, but the set-neck Ibanez Artist models, the semihollow AS Artist models, the Musician models, and the bolt-on LP variation PF- models are all way better than their straight LP copies.

When it comes to their LP copies, I think they just made them pretty and cheap. A low cost Gibson alternative. But the models I mentioned, they were Ibanez original designs and were made with premium materials and are very high quality guitars in their own right.

• Members

yes, the bolt ones were pretty crap. the ibanez concert is a cool guitar from the same period. as well as the set neck LP (build numbers were extreemly low on the set neck ones though) and the artist, musican etc.

personally i have had all of the above over the years. i dont like the finish on the musican guitars, its odd to me and sticks to my arm YMMV. Ibanez made cheaper versions with "Cimar" on the headstock they made a bolt on Concert, i would take one of those over a bolt on 70`s ibanez lespaul. the tops on many of the old 70`s japanese les paul copies is just a thin bent piece of plywood over a slab of plywood complete with air gap. not really a tone machine by any streatch of the imagination. oh and the pick ups are just a single coil in a humbucker case.

• Members

Anyone here own one other than me?

I bought mine probably close to 15 years ago for $300. Maybe I paid too much in others' minds. I don't care. It's a great guitar. Even if it is a bolt-on. The neck is good and straight, the action is low, and the stock super 58's scream. Now granted, I've seen quite a few old Ibanezes that are pretty rickety, but mine is quite a nice guitar. The neck is on the thin side, and while I wish the quality of the inlays on the neck were better, it's still a good guitar for the money. No, it's not set neck, so it's not top of the line, but I had a great early 80's Suzuki LP copy that was set neck a few years ago, and I ended up selling it and keeping my Ibanez.

Check it out.

77%20Ibanez%20LP%20Copy%202.jpg

77%20Ibanez%20LP%20Copy%201.jpg

• Members

yes, the bolt ones were pretty crap. the ibanez concert is a cool guitar from the same period. as well as the set neck LP (build numbers were extreemly low on the set neck ones though) and the artist, musican etc.

personally i have had all of the above over the years. i dont like the finish on the musican guitars, its odd to me and sticks to my arm YMMV. Ibanez made cheaper versions with "Cimar" on the headstock they made a bolt on Concert, i would take one of those over a bolt on 70`s ibanez lespaul. the tops on many of the old 70`s japanese les paul copies is just a thin bent piece of plywood over a slab of plywood complete with air gap. not really a tone machine by any streatch of the imagination. oh and the pick ups are just a single coil in a humbucker case.

Somewhat correct.

• Members

Anyone here own one other than me?

I bought mine probably close to 15 years ago for $300. Maybe I paid too much in others' minds. I don't care. It's a great guitar. Even if it is a bolt-on. The neck is good and straight, the action is low, and the stock super 58's scream. Now granted, I've seen quite a few old Ibanezes that are pretty rickety, but mine is quite a nice guitar. The neck is on the thin side, and while I wish the quality of the inlays on the neck were better, it's still a good guitar for the money. No, it's not set neck, so it's not top of the line, but I had a great early 80's Suzuki LP copy that was set neck a few years ago, and I ended up selling it and keeping my Ibanez.

Check it out.

77%20Ibanez%20LP%20Copy%202.jpg
77%20Ibanez%20LP%20Copy%201.jpg

That's nice looking. I had one that had been played professionally by a member of the Inkspots. It wasn't a bad guitar at all and I agree those pickups are the bomb.

• Members

my older brother has one of those, bolt-on neck and everything. it sounds good and plays really well, although it seems they tried to imitate the whole "fretless wonder" thing. seriously, the frets are like a MM high with no crown at all. i want to steal it from him next time i watch his dogs. lol