Epiphone Les Paul Standard versus Standard Plus

garage_logician

• Members

Stopped by my local Guitar Center today and ran across an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I thought it was a great looking and sounding guitar and to my great surprise it was priced at $339.00.

Not knowing much about Les Paul guitars (other than I want one!) I went out to the the Guitar Center website and started looking at the various models. I found that besides the Standard there is also the Standard Plus which is priced at $424.00 right now.

As far as I can tell the only difference between the two is the maple cap on the Plus. Is this the only difference? I am torn between the Standard (Ebony, the burst ones don't look as nice) versus the Plus. I had wanted a burst color but the Ebony looks great too.

I have a strat and a tele and would love to add a Les Paul. I just am not certain which way to go. Is there more to the plus that makes it worth the extra cheddar?

Thanks!

gl

• Members

If you can find one made in Indonesia, instead of China (absolutely nothing wrong with MIC...my numerous MIC LPs attest to that, IMO), you'll probably have a better guitar. My PRO/FX is Indonesian made and has a fantastic neck, in addition to it's flawless construction.

Only difference, otherwise, is the top....as has been previously stated.

• Members

Also some standerd tops are almost just as nice. Mine doesnt have as much flame, but still has a great grain to it. Not a plus top.... but if you did not tell anyone they would not know. Plus it just sounds and plays better then any of the others I tryed!

Archived