Coil Split a Humbucker? Or add a series/parallel switch instead?

guitarcapo

• Members

I recently installed a set of Triple Shot pickup rings on my SG loaded with Duncans 59 & JB. The Triple shot pickup ring is made by Duncan (go to their website). It gives you series/parallel and split (and the split goes 2 ways allowing you to play either coil). No special wiring, drilling, pots, etc required. The only draw back is the small switches on the pickup ring which take a little getting use to. I like them, really easy to install and no perminate damage to the guitar or wiring (totally reversable).

^^^^^This. I've used Triple Shot rings many times. They work well.

triple_shot_ring_blk_crm.jpg

• Members

Parallel is no different than selecting the in-between position of two RWRP single-coil pickups. The output is therefore not 70% of series, it's pretty much the average of the two coils, meaning the output should be just as low as splitting (provided that the two coils are of equal output), and it can be lower if one coil is hotter than the other and you're isolating the hotter coil.

I use parallel. You get a single coil type sound and output but you still get hum canceling. Have your cake and eat it too. I actually don't use a switch because I tend to wire my humbuckers in parallel and don't care for series much. Also most pickups don't sound good split.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

I am getting a set of BKPs for my Gibson Explorer. I want to maximize the tonal possibilities without adding new switches that require drilling the body. I just want to use push/pull pots. What should I tell my luthier who will be doing the install? Can using a push/pull in the tone pot as well as the two volume pots add extra options?

I just want to get these pups in without doing an electronics course first. I just don't have the required knowledge or experience and seek direction. Thanks.

• Members

I am getting a set of BKPs for my Gibson Explorer. I want to maximize the tonal possibilities without adding new switches that require drilling the body. I just want to use push/pull pots. What should I tell my luthier who will be doing the install? Can using a push/pull in the tone pot as well as the two volume pots add extra options?

I just want to get these pups in without doing an electronics course first. I just don't have the required knowledge or experience and seek direction. Thanks.

So WHY aren't you installing Triple Shots?????????

• Members

You can put the p/p pots anywhere. You do have a ton of possibilities so the real question is how important are those possibilities. There's enough info on the net about series/parallel, out of phase, splitting a coil, etc. that should help you decide. Just remember, the more complex your setup the more you have to think about. And that doesn't always add up to being happy with your axe.

Personally, I prefer series/parallel to splitting a bucker and only using one coil because that combo remains noiseless.

I don't do anything beyond that as far as phasing etc. I do like my strats with ability to combine the bridge with the neck but that's very easy to wire up and not really relevant to your situation.

• Members

Splitting can Be OK with HB's that have hot enough coils.

A vintage HB can sound pathetically weak and it can be a useless mod.

Series/parallel can be a good mod even on a vintage bucker.

In most cases I find it to acts like a clean to drive boost.

The breakup/drive changes and can be very useful.

I've only found one pup that sounds good split and its a Kramer Quad rail.

I've tried many others and most take a big dip in volume and sound like a cheezy assed dingle coil

worse than any fender pickup I've heard. If thats the sound you're looking for, you have a good chance

of finding it on lower impedance HB's.

• Members

Thanks all. Maybe just a series/parallel install is the go so as not to get too complicated. How many push pulls would that need? I have a Strat so going the split option might just be a waste of time.

So WHY aren't you installing Triple Shots?????????

The Triple Shots look interesting. Maybe that is an easy way to give every possible option? Would using these remove the need to use push pulls at all? Thanks.

• Members

?

Yeah I worded that awkwardly. Splitting a bucker only uses one of the two coils. It is not noise cancelling. Parallel uses both coils but they are not in series. In a strat positions 2 and 4 are the two pups are in parallel. With a humbucker in Parallel mode think of a strat where the the middle and bridge pups are right next to each other. Noise cancels in both examples. Hopefully clearer to you.

• Members

I recently installed a set of Triple Shot pickup rings on my SG loaded with Duncans 59 & JB. The Triple shot pickup ring is made by Duncan (go to their website). It gives you series/parallel and split (and the split goes 2 ways allowing you to play either coil). No special wiring, drilling, pots, etc required. The only draw back is the small switches on the pickup ring which take a little getting use to. I like them, really easy to install and no perminate damage to the guitar or wiring (totally reversable).

The only thing you won't get with them alone is phase reversal.

Archived