HN$129GD

Crisco

• Members

Just bought the best $129 guitar I've ever played

Nothing beats P-90's and this little baby screams.

It's an Epiphone Special. TV Yellow

I really can't believe how good this guitar plays and sounds.

From what I've read it's a no brainer 'get it while you can' deal.

and I've seen some on Ebay trying to fetch $200 for this 'rare' guitarlolz.

• Members

early morning cellphone pics...

Jan2012006.jpg

notice the veneer seam along the top edge. no trace of how many pieces the body is, but I removed the control plate and it is a slab. no wafer ply-body here.

Jan2012008.jpg

Jan2012004.jpg

sort of amazed that the 'total crap tuners' happen to do their job rather nicely.

I wasn't prepared to be even entertaining the thought of keeping them

but if it ain't broke......and they look cool.

• Members

HNGD!

I also grabbed one of these from MF for $109 and have to say I'm pretty impressed. It's my first Chinese made guitar and also my first with P-90's.

I wanted something simple and it is - it's just a wood slab with a flat finish. Mine has some of the darker stained wood that shows through the finish in places - I kind of like the look. Rosewood fretboard is beautiful, fit and finish is very good considering the price point and the P-90's are great.

Only negatives - slight gap at neck pocket - the fit is not as tight as I'd like but still OK - fret ends were the slightest bit rough (I rubbed the flat side of a pick up down along the edges of the fret board and after that it felt fine).

I expected to have to a fair amount of work to do on it and was pleasantly surprised how well it was set up right out of the box. Action was low with no buzzes anywhere - intonation at the 12th fret was OK. I was becoming impressed with the Chinese quality control when I noticed the stickers on the back of the headstock.

Besides the sticker that said "Made in China" was another one that said "100% SET-UP AND INSPECTED IN THE USA BY #4". In the box was a completed inspection card filled in by the inspector showing the specs it was set to and that all items were as they should be.

I thought "How great is that?" An Epiphone employee in the US inspects and sets up each of these. Kind of the best of both worlds - inexpensive overseas production coupled with American quality control. I'd like to see more of that kind of thing.

Archived