Think I blew a tube in my Egnater Tweaker... how can I tell and what replacement?

ILikeGuitar

• Members

So I think I blew a preamp tube (flipped the deep/tight switch, got a loud pop, no sound... turned it off and on and then got a very weak signal). Not sure if I just blew the tube or if it's something else, but I looked in and both power tubes were glowing, but didn't see any glow from any of the three preamp tubes (but the metal surrounds were still over them). What should I do? I'm usually more of a modeling amp guy so I don't really have much experience at this.

• Members

Take the covers off and look for the glow. If no glow, the tube is likely blown. Changing tubes is pretty easy if you pay attention to the pin positions.

Assuming they are 12AX7's, Sovteks and Groove Tubes are decent, inexpensive replacements

• Members

A non-glowing tube is not getting heater current. The cause of that may be a blown tube, however most tubes heaters are wired in parallel, so you would need to figure out which one.

Some preamps have rectifiers before their heaters so they will use DC for the heaters. I'm not familiar with your amps, but if it does have a rectifier, those can go as well.

Most likely it is a blown tube though, however simply replacing it doesn't answer the question as to why the tube blew.

I would recommend taking it to a tech for a once-over to be certain.

Archived