Must know solos for the aspiring lead guitarist!

PigWings_v2.0

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There's a solo in that song? So freaking long and annoying I never knew!

Tons of Vaughn, van Halen, Eric Johnson, Paul Gilbert, demeola, George lynch, les Paul,

That's so funny! I think I've made it the entire way through that song like 3 times in my entire life. I couldn't whistle the first 3 notes of the solo right now if my life depended on it.

• Members

There's a solo in that song? So freaking long and annoying I never knew!

Tons of Vaughn, van Halen, Eric Johnson, Paul Gilbert, demeola, George lynch, les Paul,

I'd rather listen to Stairway on repeat for the rest of my life than listen to one Dokken song.

• Members

I learned by copying solos note for note and I see no problem with that route. Depending where you are at in your playing the first really big break through will be when you can effortlessly weave between the minor and major pentatonic scales. {censored} most of the greatest lead players of the 60s and 70s have had 4 decade long careers doing this.Songs I would give to a student to learn would be Hendrix -Red House and Creams -Cross Roads to transcribe.But unless you slowly break it down and understand the notes and runs from each scale and how they fit you will defeat the purpose. Freebird is another great one that shows how using repetitive licks to create tension can go a long way- close to 6 minutes to be exact lol.

If you go see a legendary band or performer there are certain songs that scream to be played as close to the recorded version as possible and some that do not. One of my issues with Clapton is that he can be extremely lazy and is a big disappointment to me in this area.Certain classics like Badge, Sunshine and White Room call for at least the head of the solo to be played as everyone knows it before going off into an improv. But he will just go the lazy route most of the time with improvising right off the bat and killing the mood. As I stated it depends on the solo and if anyone was at an Eagles concert or Dire Straits show, I guarantee when Hotel California or Sultans of Swing were being played your mind would be waiting to hear those notes and if something from left field appeared you would be like -what the {censored} is this!

• Members

Here's how the greats do/did it..

- Get inspired.. have someone who makes you wanna pick up the guitar in the first place.

- Learn to play their songs.. this should be like eating candy.. not a chore. Like being able to do it for hours and hours and hours cause it's so fun.

- Develop your ear.. learning by ear or by tab isn't important ininitally but the end goal is to be able to hear what you play and play what you hear (in your head or on someones album etc).

- Branch out a bit and learn some more stuff of a similar style.. (or different style) so that you aren't just a clone.

- Combine all of these influences into a fresh new style that is your own..

- Combining licks and styles.. improvising.. writing original songs etc.

- Stuff whatever anyone else says.. your style is to please yourself not anyone else. If anyone else likes it.. great.

• Members

I learned by copying solos note for note and I see no problem with that route. Depending where you are at in your playing the first really big break through will be when you can effortlessly weave between the minor and major pentatonic scales. {censored} most of the greatest lead players of the 60s and 70s have had 4 decade long careers doing this.Songs I would give to a student to learn would be Hendrix -Red House and Creams -Cross Roads to transcribe.But unless you slowly break it down and understand the notes and runs from each scale and how they fit you will defeat the purpose. Freebird is another great one that shows how using repetitive licks to create tension can go a long way- close to 6 minutes to be exact lol.

If you go see a legendary band or performer there are certain songs that scream to be played as close to the recorded version as possible and some that do not. One of my issues with Clapton is that he can be extremely lazy and is a big disappointment to me in this area.Certain classics like Badge, Sunshine and White Room call for at least the head of the solo to be played as everyone knows it before going off into an improv. But he will just go the lazy route most of the time with improvising right off the bat and killing the mood. As I stated it depends on the solo and if anyone was at an Eagles concert or Dire Straits show, I guarantee when Hotel California or Sultans of Swing were being played your mind would be waiting to hear those notes and if something from left field appeared you would be like -what the {censored} is this!

I see your point, but I think that that fondness for the exact notes on the record is probably more important to the listener than to the guitarist who first played it.

I saw an interview with Todd Rundgren, in which he talked about the making of Bat Out of Hell. He said that he'd heard cover bands reproducing his guitar solo on the outro note for note, which he found both disconcerting and amusing, because he just whacked it down late at night in about three minutes on account of he wanted the damn session finished so he could get some sleep. What he played was, if not random, certainly arbitrary.

Clapton might be lazy. But I think he's also easily bored, and perhaps he plays it differently every time just to keep himself interested.

• Members

It really doesn't matter about what's "iconic"..learn the solo's that excite you. That might mean hundreds or just a few. Learn them by ear (do NOT use Tab, get hold of "Transcribe" or similar slow down software) and get them note for note even if you end up playing them differently. The very act of trying to get them note for note will do wonders for your ear, which will then reap benefits regardless of what you end you doing with music...bedroom player or stadium superstar.

I'd also respectfully disagree with the statement that "Note-for-note stuff impresses other teenage guitar owners, but it's no way to understand how scales interact with chords."...a big part of the transcribing process HAS to be understanding why certain notes sound like they do against certain chords. Then, you need to take what you've learned and USE it in your own context. That's crucial to getting real mileage out of the info you've learned from transcribing (notes and analysis).

• Members

Great thread!

I use a program called the Amazing Slow-Downer which allows you to slow (and loop) fast or difficult passages. Most of the time this is a must for me when trying to learn something new by ear. Usually I use a combination of this and tabs from the internet, which are almost always wrong but get me in the right area when I have trouble.

Regarding learning note for note: its a worthwhile exercise for me. It shows just how common certain licks are, teaches me new phrases, and most importantly how the scales and theory that I've learned relates to actual music. I think its good to learn the tools and how they are used in order to manipulate them to eventually get the sounds in my head out through my fingers.

• Members
Reading Writing Rt 23 by Dwight Yoakam-Pete Anderson (Guitar Center King of the Blues backing track fame) solo kills in that. I cant find a video, as they are all live and he never plays a solo the same twice...just get the CD Hillbilly Deluxe or Guitars and Cadillacs I forget which one its on

• Members

Incredibly impressive, and pretty educational too. I was a bit mesmerised.

I feel almost embarrassed to ask such a trivial question but what the hell is going on with the LEDs on that pick-up? I mean, can you buy those? Not that I would. No, no. But - you know - I ask merely out of idle curiosity. Can you?

• Members

There are none IMO. There is value in stealing licks and phrases, twisting them around and making them your own, but I know too many players who've learned entire solos who actually don't have a clue what they're playing.

Note-for-note stuff impresses other teenage guitar owners, but it's no way to understand how scales interact with chords.

Well-said. I agree completely.

Archived