Vintage 1975 Hagstrom Swede . . .

Legal Fingers

• Members

Those original Hags are great,I played (and passed up buying ) a couple in the early 80's and still think about them .

I'd be mostly concerned about the binding issues,if it's missing chunks,there rest is possibly just waiting to fall out as well .

And inmy mind a chunk out of the binding at the first fret would certainly affect playability .

I myself wouldn't go a whole lot higher than it's at right now given it's condition..maybe $300..JMO

• Members

Get a screw for the pickup, deal with the missing pieces of binding, assume those nicks and scratches on the neck are only cosmetic . . .

I've bought worse and played it to death, I will say that.

Count in a new bridge too. Or at least some severe filing.

See how skewed those strings are? If not, look at them over the neck

Non original tuners as well.

As much as i like vintage bargains (with all the wear and cosmetic issues), this one is already overpriced given the state it is in imo.

• Members

Count in a new bridge too. Or at least some severe filing.

See how skewed those strings are? If not, look at them over the neck

Non original tuners as well.

As much as i like vintage bargains (with all the wear and cosmetic issues), this one is already overpriced given the state it is in imo.

Ooooo! Good call on the bridge. Hadn't noticed that. I kind of need an excuse not to buy another guitar. (But only a little bit more than I need an excuse to buy another guitar.)

• Members

My advice for buying a guitar over thirty years old is to look for the cleanest, most original, and best playing example of that model that you can possibly find and afford. And it is always best to try it first. If you really want a Hagstrom Swede keep checking your local Craigslist, eBay, and your area music stores until one shows up for sale near you. Go try it out and then make a decision about whether to buy it or not. Another option is to keep checking the inventories of reputable dealers of older guitars. I highly recommend Elderly Instruments elderly.com, Action Music actionguitar.com, and Lark Street Music larkstreet.com. When one shows up for sale from them call them up for an in hand description. From my dealings with Action Music, if a guitar is up for sale it is already set up and ready to be played. Elderly Instruments states any issues, if there are any at all, in their descriptions. And the one guitar I bought from Lark Street Music arrived ready to play.

I would definitely pass on the Hagstrom Swede you posted an eBay link to.

• Members

My advice for buying a guitar over thirty years old is to look for the cleanest, most original, and best playing example of that model that you can possibly find and afford. And it is always best to try it first. If you really want a Hagstrom Swede keep checking your local Craigslist, eBay, and your area music stores until one shows up for sale near you. Go try it out and then make a decision about whether to buy it or not. Another option is to keep checking the inventories of reputable dealers of older guitars. I highly recommend Elderly Instruments
elderly.com
, Action Music
actionguitar.com
, and Lark Street Music
larkstreet.com
. When one shows up for sale from them call them up for an in hand description. From my dealings with Action Music, if a guitar is up for sale it is already set up and ready to be played. Elderly Instruments states any issues, if there are any at all, in their descriptions. And the one guitar I bought from Lark Street Music arrived ready to play.

I would definitely pass on the Hagstrom Swede you posted an eBay link to.

Thanks! This is good advice. I wasn't really looking for a Swede, just sort of looking for a deal, as always. I'm going to bookmark these sites for future reference.

Archived