Stratocaster string guage with whammy bar

jomaco

• Members

Hi

I've got a mix of Rotosound blue and orange strings on my strat so guage 9 on the top but something like 52 on the bottom I think. So quite a range... but I like the sound! The problem is I want to use the whammy bar - I first took it off to make sure I didn't use it as the guitar would go out of tune. My question therefore is what, realistically, is the thickest set of strings you can use on a strat but still operate the whammy bar without the guitar going out of tune (without filing the nut etc.).

Thanks

Jon

• Members

Most often standard tuning, I had 4 springs in both but swapped to 5 because the bridge was really high with the new strings. I'm really finding any use of the whammy bar is causing the guitar to go out of tune, I just wonder if the nut slots are just far too small for the strings. I must add this is not a standard Fender Strat this is a Gordon Smith Classic S, which is essentially a strat copy (with a les paul width neck) but it has a brass nut, maybe that might make it harder to alter it - although I'm not sure I would want to mess with it

• Members

Well, SRV used bridge cables for strings and still was able to operate the trem OK. What you have is still quite light. You'll probably have to adjust the claw so for proper trem operation and so your bridge stays flat (if you want it to float, the rear should be about 1/8" off the body). You should also be able to get by with 3 springs. Here is the link to Fender's website where it tells how to set up everything properly. http://www.fender.com/support/articles/stratocaster-setup-guide

You want to make sure the strings pass smoothly through the nut slots, if they don't, widen them (get some torch tip cleaners... which are tiny wire files available at your friendly neighborhood hardware store for $4). Apply lube to the slots such as graphite (pencil lead) or chapstick.

• Members

it has a brass nut, maybe that might make it harder to alter it - although I'm not sure I would want to mess with it

One of the reasons brass nuts fell out of popularity is because strings can get hung up in them. Lube the heck out of the slots. And make sure you're using as few wraps around the tuners as possible. That should help. Along with tightening the claw.

• Members

I've used everything from 9s to 11s and have never had tuning issues because of the strings. You just have to give your guitar a full set up when you change string gauges. truss rod adjustment, bridge height adjustment, trem claw adjustment... just because your trem reacts to different tensions of the different strings. you have to adjust it to deal with whatever strings you have on.

• Members

Well, SRV used bridge cables for strings and still was able to operate the trem OK. What you have is still quite light. You'll probably have to adjust the claw so for proper trem operation and so your bridge stays flat (if you want it to float, the rear should be about 1/8" off the body). You should also be able to get by with 3 springs. Here is the link to Fender's website where it tells how to set up everything properly.

You want to make sure the strings pass smoothly through the nut slots, if they don't, widen them (get some torch tip cleaners... which are tiny wire files available at your friendly neighborhood hardware store for $4). Apply lube to the slots such as graphite (pencil lead) or chapstick.

SRVs tech also put new strings on every guitar that would be used every show and..

He emphasizes the importance of lubricating all the moving parts of the tremolo system, preferring a powdered graphite-and-grease mixture (the grease holds the graphite in place where it

Archived