Dimarzio PAF Pro ??

MKSkud

• Members

Anyone have any thoughts on these, in an HSS strat? I am looking to upgrade the humbucker in my MIM strat. Just looking for a versatile pickup, good for anything save for the chugga chugga stuff... I know they had PAF Pro's in Sambora strats at one time...

• Members

I just put one in an SC420 Ibanez (25" scale, bolt on maple neck/thin mahogany body) which is not exactly a superstrat, so take that into account:

I find it bright without being piercing or thin. It's got a pronounced mid-range thing (the DM catalog calls it a 'vowel' sound or something like that) that will make you love it or hate it. Compared to my usual Duncan JB, it's in the same ballpark with a different character, which is what I was after.

Clean is OK, but not jazz-worthy, IMHO. Classic rock is dead simple to pull off. I like it, but could easily see where someone wouldn't, again, much like the JB.

HTH

• Members

Well ive havent had any experience with the PRO's but I have had the PAF 36th Anniv. in the neck and a Tone Zone in the bridge of one guitar, and i currently have 2 36th's (bridge and neck version..there are two models) in my Ibby AS-73....they are awesome pickups...they can do it all from cleans to chugga chugga on the metal...that guitar with those pickups slays all!!!!

• Members

I have one but have only used it in the neck position with a hotter pup in the bridge. I think it sounds really nice there, keeps the notes defined and clear...no muddiness. I plan to drop one in the bridge position soon though.

Archived