Squier CV Strat - stoner metal Mod advice

samzadgan

• Members

So, i've had my classic vibe strat for about a year now, and to be honest it hasn't worked out!

I've realised that i'm not a versatile player, and that i can't play with single coil pickups, especially in the bridge position. On the weekend, i decided to use my strat as my tune down guitar due to its longer scale length, compared to my other guitars.

One thing i discovered...i do like playing it, it feels great, the neck the action, everything feels great. Also, i like the neck position single coil pickup.

What i don't like the sound of the middle and bridge pickups, i don't like the amount of nobs and the number of positions in the pickup switch.

I play metal, and like a bit of stoner metal too...which will be the main use of this guitar. So, i want to change the bridge pickup to something more suitable, i will remove the middle pickup and keep the neck pickup.

The options i have considered:

- Passive P90 in the bridge (either Gibson P90, or Seymour Duncan)

- Active P90 in the bridge - EMG

- Active Humbucker Bridge - Blackouts, or EMG 60

- Active single coil neck - Blackout or EMG SA

Considering i will be playing tuned down stoner metal type music, with a lot gain, or fuzz...which of these options do you think is the best option?

thanks

Sammy

• Moderators

Lift the pickguard and see the routing first, that could change the options completely.

If it is routed SSS, then you could try a Strat sized P90 bridge and middle, or just use a DiM stacked Strat size bucker or a blade bucker at the bridge, ya got yer mini JBs, and yer Fralin Split Blades

I'd recommend you speak to Bryan at BG Pups, you'll get a tad o discount too

• Members

yep...like Frankie Pajamas says, there's enough room...also without a middle pickup, i believe i have enough to put in a battery, if i get active pickup in the bridge.

BTW Frankie, how do you find the humbucker in the bridge? and what kind of music do you play with it?

One reason i'm leaning towards active pickups, is because the tone wood on these guitars are not great, and active pickups almost bypass all that...right?

• Members

yep...like Frankie Pajamas says, there's enough room...also without a middle pickup, i believe i have enough to put in a battery, if i get active pickup in the bridge.

BTW Frankie, how do you find the humbucker in the bridge? and what kind of music do you play with it?

One reason i'm leaning towards active pickups, is because the tone wood on these guitars are not great, and active pickups almost bypass all that...right?

I love the HB at the bridge. I play classic rock / hard rock (think from Zeppelin to AIC, Soundgarden, etc.). Tone wood in these guitars is just fine IMO.

• Members

The tonewood in the CV is Alder and is just fine! Another option you could look into is the Dimarzio Tone Zone S. It would work great for the styles of music you play.

I checked these out...and yes, it seems like these fit the bill perfectly!

they have nice deep sound, they are passive, which means i don't need batteries etc, and i can keep the stock neck pickup in...and the bonus...its cheaper!!!

thanks Cornman!

• Members

I checked these out...and yes, it seems like these fit the bill perfectly!

they have nice deep sound, they are passive, which means i don't need batteries etc, and i can keep the stock neck pickup in...and the bonus...its cheaper!!!

thanks Cornman!

Not a problem buddy! I think you will be very happy with it. I know I am.

Archived