Wall-mount Guitar Hanging Systems

MarkBastable

• Members

So I want to build - or, to be more accurate, have built - a set of wall-mounted hangers for my guitars. The plan is to get a couple of long pieces of interesting wood and space the guitar hangers along them. I think I've seen a picture of something similar in a thread here, but I can't find it.

What I need to buy, then, is a dozen or so hangers - and if possible I'd like them to be angleable at the joint, so that the guitars aren't entirely face-on to the room, and it'd help if they could also be lockable in some way, so that I can't knock one guitar out of its cradle when I'm reaching for the one next to it. (I am famously clumsy - it's practically a congenital condition.)

I've had a quick look around on the Web, but haven't seen anything that's quite right.

Any ideas, suggestions, unprovoked insults?

• Members

I am a fan of the Hercules hangers (e.g., this or this . The weight of the guitar pulls down on the hook and causes the jaws to rotate closed. To get them at an angle, cut a chunk of 4x4 (or something like it) at a 30 or 45 degree angle, mount that on your board, then mount the hanger on the angled piece of wood.

Keep in mind that if the guitar is at an angle the side closer to the wall might bump it, depending on how much you angle it, how wide the guitar body is (what works for a Steinberger might not work for a 335), and how long the hanger's arm is. The nice thing about being parallel to the wall is that this isn't a problem.

While typing this up I ran across this which isn't as secure as the Hercules but would simplify the whole process for you.

P.S. Here ya go! 5178242663_a62cbe9d96_z.jpg

• Members

P.S.
Here
ya go!
5178242663_a62cbe9d96_z.jpg

HA! That's mine!

It's built using a 2x4 with hooks going into triangular blocks so that the guitars hang at an angle. Here's a rough template that I threw together:

5178276519_55e530196e.jpg

FYI, many of the hooks that I used are just plain 'ol tool hooks that can be purchased very cheaply (a buck or 2 apiece). They work great, but I wouldn't hang any nitro finished guitars on them for fear of them reacting with the nitro.

• Members

A_Gitarman
, nice work. I included a link to the thread on TGP --
here it is again

Yeah... saw your TGP link while I was typing up my response. I also just realized that the above pic shows it in an unfinished state... the leftmost three spaces are shown sans hooks. All 14 spaces are now filled.

One of these days I'll even get around to sanding, filling the screw holes, and painting the thing :facepalm:

• Members

I've been very happy with the
system. Yes, they will sell you wall hangers 6" or 12" long with the hinged joint. The other end slides into standard wall slats. ...

That's the ticket -- it's very affordable, looks clean and neat, does what the OP asked ...

• Members

I was thinking about doing the whole wall hanger thing but went with just a regular multi guitar stand instead... my issue was dust and general exposure... with the stand I can keep my guitars covered when they aren't in use...

is dust etc an issue for you guys that use the wall hangers? I would say they look infinitely cooler than just the regular multi guitar stand.

• Members
I was thinking about doing the whole wall hanger thing but went with just a regular multi guitar stand instead... my issue was dust and general exposure... with the stand I can keep my guitars covered when they aren't in use...

is dust etc an issue for you guys that use the wall hangers? I would say they look infinitely cooler than just the regular multi guitar stand.

The environment must be taken into consideration. In the lower right corner of the picture I posted is a dust filter, one of several, that runs all the time. I also keep a humidifier and a dehumidifier to run as needed. Still, there is dust. I find a good quality 2" paint brush makes a great duster.

• Members

The environment must be taken into consideration. In the lower right corner of the picture I posted is a dust filter, one of several, that runs all the time. I also keep a humidifier and a dehumidifier to run as needed. Still, there is dust. I find a good quality 2" paint brush makes a great duster.

I gotcha.... humidity is pretty consistant when you're 10 degrees North of the equator like me..lol...but the dust is a REAL bitch where I live at the moment.. my wife and I recently put down on a new condo being built... fingers crossed there is better dust wise so I can have the kids on the wall in the music room....

• Members

Dang, that Spalted Maple Carvin Semi Hollow is nice, do you have any close up pics? I've been thinking about getting one very similar to that.

I've been very happy with the
Diamond Life
system. Yes, they will sell you wall hangers 6" or 12" long with the hinged joint. The other end slides into standard wall slats. Here is the finished product:

P1090035.jpg

• Members
I really like the looks of that. Did the shipping on the 96" strips kill ya', though?

I looked in my records. I ordered the two 96" slats and 15 12" hangers, and the shipping was $35 for the lot. Not too exorbitant, I think.

Archived