I bought a Squier Affinity Jazz Bass today...

BATCAT

• Moderators

Because I need to record some bass tracks and I'm on a super tight budget.

It sounded pretty darn decent in the store, and felt quite nice. I almost went for the P-Bass but the Jazz just spoke to me more.

It will be interesting to record with this thing. I'll let you know how it works out, in case you're interested.

Am I crazy for thinking this actually seems like a pretty good instrument? I have played basses SO MUCH worse than this one.

• 6 years later...
  • Moderators

Well tomorrow it will be seven years to the day since I bought it, and I still really like it. It's been used plenty for live and recording and beats some more expensive basses sonically. It's also crazy comfortable to play. I have a fancier bass too, but it's my #1.

• Members

I have a 5-string that's been in my closet for perhaps years at this point, in pieces. I didn't think it was that great long after buying it, but I've read and heard good things. Plus I want to practice fretwork and maintenance, so someday soon it'll come out (no homo... damn). Zombie bass?

• Members

Nice - I bought a cheapie SX fretless P-bass several years ago, and once I replaced the pickups with some inexpensive EMG "Selects" I found on eBay, I haven't had any inclination to replace it. But lately I find myself wanting a fretted bass, and the Affinity is now on my radar screen.

Thanks for the updated review!

• Moderators

Incidentally, I've replaced nothing on this bass, not a pickup, tuning peg, or saddle, and it's been heavily used and even downright abused, and still stays in tune and feels solid. Guess I got a good one. Thanks, China.

:idk:

Archived