Epiphone Les Paul Junior: 3 hours of aggravation

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

A co-worker's computer got infected with a virus, and most people there seem to be under the illusion that I am intelligent, so she asked if I would take a look and see if I could fix it. From what she described it sounded like something I had encountered before and figured I'd be done in under fifteen minutes.

Three hours later I finally killed the {censored}ing thing, and restored all the computer settings it {censored}ed up. She was quite pleased she could get back on facebook, and her significant other was happy he didn't have to take it somewhere and pay through the nose to get it fixed. She had mentioned to him I play guitar, so he brought down a Epiphone Les Paul Jr someone had given to him for a gift a few years ago but never really touched (he doesn't play), and gave it to me. I wasn't expecting anything in return, but it was a rather nice gesture.

I needs new strings and a setup, nothing I can't handle. It was lighter than I had expected, but acoustically surprisingly resonant. The neck is comfortable for my hands as well.

I know I belong here are HC, because I already want to mod it. It isn't worth much monetarily, so how much if any trouble is it worth? I was thinking perhaps a GFS pickups if I don't like the Epi humbucker when I get a chance to plug it in, and maybe upgrade the pots and wiring. New tuners if it doesn't stay in tune, and is the bridge worth bothering with?

If nothing else I can find the guy who wrote that virus and insert the guitar in him rectally. Pics are coming, my phone is being difficult at the moment.

Edit: My only other electric is a 1967 Gibson ES-335. If I started playing out electrically, I was planning on getting something else so I wouldn't have to risk something happening to that 335. This Epi LP Jr is something I wouldn't have to sweat over if something happened, and as long as its something that plays decent, sounds decent, and that I have fun with I'm not too picky.

• Members

if the guitar is cool... put a decent pickup in it

how much the guitar cost isn't a factor to me (ok there's resale, but you can always pull a pickup)... i don't see the point in turning a cheap but great playing guitar into a fairly good sounding instrument, when you can turn it into a great sounding instrument

• Members

If you really like the feel of the guitar then it's worth upgrading.

To me the neck is key - if it has a good neck it can be turned into a great instrument.

In my experience the best upgrades go like this: pickups, tuners, bridge, electronics and last is wiring.

A pro setup also can work wonders.

Very nice of your friend's hubby to give you that. Not a bad deal for both of you.

• Members

if the guitar is cool... put a decent pickup in it

how much the guitar cost isn't a factor to me (ok there's resale, but you can always pull a pickup)... i don't see the point in turning a cheap but great playing guitar into a fairly good sounding instrument, when you can turn it into a great sounding instrument

+1!

• Members

It was lighter than I had expected, but acoustically surprisingly resonant.

Sounds like mine. :thu: You will most likely need to file the nut, may or may not need to replace the tuners. Anything else is optional imo... the stock bridge is fine, stock wiring and humbucker are okay too imo.

• Members

Sounds like mine.
:thu:
You will most likely need to file the nut, may or may not need to replace the tuners. Anything else is optional imo... the stock bridge is fine, stock wiring and humbucker are okay too imo.

It does need to be filed down, a lot of excess on top. I don't like how tiny the pots look, but I might just be overly picky. I do think I might swap the pickguard for a white one. The whole thing besides the chrome hardware is black, and a white pickguard will give some contrast and maybe a phantom of the opera-ish vibe too.

• Members

.. he brought down a Epiphone Les Paul Jr someone had given to him for a gift a few years ago but never really touched (he doesn't play), and gave it to me.
I wasn't expecting anything in return
, but it was a rather nice gesture.

I know this is a guitar forum and not a Buddhist forum but the bit in bold is my favorite part of the post.

• Members

I know this is a guitar forum and not a Buddhist forum but the bit in bold is my favorite part of the post.

I felt bad about accepting it and told them several times it was quite alright, but they insisted, stating they appreciated me taking the time to help them and that it should be with someone that will get some use out of it.

But I am glad to see there are people that appreciate the attitude of doing things just to simply help people. :thu:

Interesting side note, at least to me, is her late husband was the guitarist for the band Lord.

[video=youtube;b-ZyKHt0T1I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-ZyKHt0T1I

• Members

I felt bad about accepting it and told them several times it was quite alright, but they insisted, stating they appreciated me taking the time to help them and that it should be with someone that will get some use out of it.

But I am glad to see there are people that appreciate the attitude of doing things just to simply help people...

I don't think you should feel bad.

Your accepting the gift provides the opportunity for them to give it to you. It's not as if you were expecting something in return for your help.

Archived