christ, I suck at double bass

• Members
Originally posted by Yokozuna

I think drumcanman uses lots of different techniques in his playing
:)

By the way, cool video. Really interesting. Do you know where to find some more of those video's?

When I say that's what I think Tim Waterson is doing, I'm speaking specifically of the Heel-Toe technique.

That's the only video of that type that I know of online.
I asked him (the guy who made that video) how he made it, but he never answered me. I am trying to put some money aside for a digital Video Camera and everything I need to be able to make smooth running videos online.

I made one last year on how to do a one handed roll, but it was really "choppy"/jagged looking, and the video of my hand didn't match up with the audio....so it was a waste of time. After Yahoo griped enough times and finally suspended my account because of all the bandwidth use, I took it offline.

Tim

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

wow, that's a really cool video. It actually helped me out alot. I'll practice that until I can do it. thanks for the video. With correctly adjusted pedals and an assumption that the batter head should be tight, I think I can finally play fast double bass without working so hard. cool

• Members

Originally posted by WorshipMetallica

wow, that's a really cool video. It actually helped me out alot. I'll practice that until I can do it. thanks for the video. With correctly adjusted pedals and an assumption that the batter head should be tight, I think I can finally play fast double bass without working so hard. cool

Pay close attention to how his foot is moving in that video, the heel goes down, and then the toe strikes the pedal, and his whole foot moves just exactly like he is walking.

When you get it going, it almost feels like you are walking on air!

Once you build the strength in the foot, and are able to do the motion without any problems, then you will be able to lower the tension of both the kicks and the springs of the pedals, you just have to have them tight while you are learning it.

Tim

• Members

Originally posted by Yokozuna

I haven't read the whole pages, but on that video. Does the drummer have his spring tension of the pedals quite tight or very untight or?

Probably medium to tight.

Usually, once you learn this technique and have built the muscles in your legs, you have no use for a really loose pedal tension, because the mallet doesn't return fast enough.

The faster the mallet returns, the faster you can strike again.

Tim

• Members

Hm, it's precisely the same here. I just put the tension that way the pedals react optimal to quick rolling (wel not REALLY quick, just 12beats/s heels-off) DB patterns.

Some days ago I tried hitting the pedals somewhere in the middle, that was a blast. It felt like I used 2 times less power for the same attacks. Before I (heels-off) used to hit them on the top. It's good enough for slow patterns, but when it got some quicker (like I said 12beats/s) I lost a lot volume. It really fun learning trying new techniques and stuff man.

But I tried that heel-toe technique on that video for playing doubles. But it's quite hard though my pedal settings are right. Is it a fact that technique is optimal done with shoes with a flat sole?

• Members

i used to do toe heel barefoot too, i have small feet so it was easier. i stopped because for now i had to learn faster singles for recording and stuff, have it even, because the double strokes are a lot harder to make even and perfect.

TIM with the 28" kick...that is too huge for me to imagine, what practical use do you use it for, a certain type of music?
and how is the attack on a big kick like that, do you have to tune the head tighter to compensate?

• Members

Originally posted by the other kyle

i used to do toe heel barefoot too, i have small feet so it was easier. i stopped because for now i had to learn faster singles for recording and stuff, have it even, because the double strokes are a lot harder to make even and perfect.

TIM with the 28" kick...that is too huge for me to imagine, what practical use do you use it for, a certain type of music?

and how is the attack on a big kick like that, do you have to tune the head tighter to compensate?

Hi Kyle,

Well, I'm playing in three bands right now...one is just a Metal band, and I tune the kicks just past wrinkles for that...and let me tell you, that is a major workout....it's like kicking against a sail, but it sounds so awesome! No Heel-Toe action there. I do it, but it's not as fast as if the heads were tight since there's no real rebound from the heads....oh, and it sounds like a Canon going off. LOL!

For the other two bands I crank the kickheads very tight, and can heel-toe until my hearts content. One is a cover band, and one is a band that's moving for more of a modern Metal sound along the lines of Tool and System of a Down (HEY! I can't believe it! It's a NEW band that I actually like!)

For this prtoject, the 28" kicks are an advantage, because I can crank the kickheads down super tight, and still be in the pitch range of a 22" Kickdrum, even though the head is as tight as my snarehead.)

This was one of the factors in my getting the 28" Kikcs.....plus I'm 6'1" and feel kind of funny sitting behind little kickdrums...I just added all the options, and I will never drop down in kicksize again.

I truly love the 28" Kicks...sure it's a bit more to lug around, but let's face it...I have to have a Van to move my kit no matter what I do.

I'm waiting on my Pearl Rack to get in so I can Rack my entire kit....then I'll be a happy man.

I'm using Danwar Kickplates...just the regular Graphite ones. I bough the kind that are for a Double pedal, and I put one of these on each Kick, but I put them on going up and down, instead of across...that allows me to adjust the mallet height, and remain on an impact plate.

Then (I'm using Axis Sonic Hammers with the A Longboards) I superglued mousepad foam to each mallet, and then cut off the excess with an Olfa knife. This gives me an imitation "felt" mallet sound against the hard impact pads. With the tension that tight...the hard mallet against the hard surface of the graphite plate (No cloth on them for those who use the Danmar impact pads) was just TOO much Click.

Tim

Archived