The best hidden gems amongst old guitars

belovedmonster

• Members

I've owned many a second hand guitar during my 10 years of playing, mostly because I was poor and that was all I could afford, but in each case it was simply a guitar from the past few years sold second hand, none of them where old, nevermind vintage.

In recent times though I have found myself browsing 80s Charvels, Ibanez and the like on ebay and the prices seem pretty low, and often the guitars go unsold as well. It's like there is a whole niche of guitars a certain age which are not collectable yet but not modern enough for people to consider either.

I'm guessing there must be some absolute steals out there if I knew what to look for, but sadly I don't. What makes things harder is unless you have in depth knowledge of a certain brand it is hard to know if that ST105 (or whatever model) guitar being sold was a low end starter guitar or a high end pro model.

In general how do 80s guitars hold up to the quality of todays? I am forever reading that because of modern advances in factory technology and shipping, the average low end guitar these days plays much like a mid range guitar of the past, but I'm assuming a higher end 80s guitar will still be worth finding yes?

Has anyone got any advice or suggestions on how I could find a gem? Are there certain brands I should start learning the history of more than others?

Basically I am hoping to get something of Gibson/Fender high end quality, but at a fraction of the price. :love:

• Members

Basically I am hoping to get something of Gibson/Fender high end quality, but at a fraction of the price.
:love:

Aren't we all...

Anyways, look to Japan. Burny, Tokai etc. I'm sure more can chime in on that since I'm not that well versed in the Japanese guitar market.

• Members

...look to Japan. Burny, Tokai etc.

Yes, excellent instruments. Greco as well, among others. But the market has really boomed for Tokais and Grecos in particular. I see 80s Tokais go for pretty serious $$$ regularly. They are, however, typically very well made.

• Members

Depends on what you're specifically looking for. If you're looking for a shredder/super strat style, there are tons of great deals to be had out there. I would look especially to Kramers, both the MIA ones and to a slightly lesser degree, the ESP made MIJ Focus series. Hamer USA made some great guitars of all styles in the 80's and early 90's. Once you get into the later 90's models, they get a bit more expensive and traditional looking.

Archived