Cover Clip inside. Rebel Yell. Love to know what you all think.

riffy

• Members

Damn!!1

Perfect. I dont know how else to describe it.

I loved the slap back delay, or a tiny bit slower than slap back hard panned left and right. Gave a killer stereo effect which made the already great machinelike playing pop out and sparkle. I really think that was like icing on the cake. What did you use? What effect for the delay, and did you mix it like that intentionally or did your delay unit do that automatically.

It was perfect.

Loved it!!!

Edit: There is actually even more going on in there than just left and right panned. what are you using? Effect and technique?

• Members

Damn!!1

Perfect. I dont know how else to describe it.

I loved the slap back delay, or a tiny bit slower than slap back hard panned left and right. Gave a killer stereo effect which made the already great machinelike playing pop out and sparkle. I really think that was like icing on the cake. What did you use? What effect for the delay, and did you mix it like that intentionally or did your delay unit do that automatically.

It was perfect.

Loved it!!!

Edit: There is actually even more going on in there than just left and right panned. what are you using? Effect and technique?

Dave,

Thanks so much man! I really appreciate your time, both listening and giving an in depth opinion! I really do.

There is a very short left and right delay along with a room verb that I have ping-ponging back and forth a bit. The rest is technique. I really tried hard to ape what I could of what Steve Stevens did on this track. I worked at this thing a week to get it to as close as I could and then say good enough. At that point, I just hit record and did single takes. Best I could do in the take

and left it.

I did a lot of volume knob riding while I was playing and then moved the sounds around a bit in the stereo field on mixing the guitar.

Choo arrrr de bomb mang!

Gary

• Members

Dave,

Thanks so much man! I really appreciate your time, both listening and giving an in depth opinion! I really do.

There is a very short left and right delay along with a room verb that I have ping-ponging back and forth a bit. The rest is technique. I really tried hard to ape what I could of what Steve Stevens did on this track. I worked at this thing a week to get it to as close as I could and then say good enough. At that point, I just hit record and did single takes. Best I could do in the take

and left it.

I did a lot of volume knob riding while I was playing and then moved the sounds around a bit in the stereo field on mixing the guitar.

Choo arrrr de bomb mang!

Gary

Well, I think it sounds absolutely awesome, man.

another thing, I am one of those that puts HUGE importance on learning cover tunes and learning the music of other people to get better as a player, which obviously, you do and have done probably all of your playing life. These things we learn from others are invaluable and most of these lessons, we are likely to never discover ourselves simply by trying to stumble onto them or luck into them just by playing the same old 'original" stuff we can think of ourselves over and over again. All these great players that have come before us are our greatest teachers. Copy what they did, figure out how they did it, and then we can use those tones and techniques to make our own music.

Im not so much telling YOU this, I know you already figured this out a long time ago, you are an awesome player.

Where I AM going with this is, the same technique of learning can be used for production as well. Want to become a great producer? Learn from the greats that have already come before you.

Once again, you have also discovered this too.

I think the best way to learn production, is read all the books and manuals you can to find out HOW things work, so you know how and why to use something when you choose to use it,

BUT, listen to all the great music you love, and spend some time trying to copy the production techniques they already did. These producers are your teachers too. You can get great at production by trying to copy what someone else already did. Because if you know how to copy it, then you have figured out how to get the sounds they got, and then you can use those sounds and techniques in your OWN original settings without having to guess how to get them.

Once again, you already know this, I am just trying to convince others that this is a great(the best in my opinion) way to learn.

This was a great excercise you did by working out this cover tune, but aside from all that, you did an excellent job, and your work here is simply great to listen to.

Not only are you a great player, your production skills are awesome too.

• Members

Well, I think it sounds absolutely awesome, man.

another thing, I am one of those that puts HUGE importance on learning cover tunes and learning the music of other people to get better as a player, which obviously, you do and have done probably all of your playing life. These things we learn from others are invaluable and most of these lessons, we are likely to never discover ourselves simply by trying to stumble onto them or luck into them just by playing the same old 'original" stuff we can think of ourselves over and over again. All these great players that have come before us are our greatest teachers. Copy what they did, figure out how they did it, and then we can use those tones and techniques to make our own music.

Im not so much telling YOU this, I know you already figured this out a long time ago, you are an awesome player.

Where I AM going with this is, the same technique of learning can be used for production as well. Want to become a great producer? Learn from the greats that have already come before you.

Once again, you have also discovered this too.

I think the best way to learn production, is read all the books and manuals you can to find out HOW things work, so you know how and why to use something when you choose to use it,

BUT,
listen
to all the great music you love, and spend some time trying to copy the production techniques they already did. These producers are your teachers too. You can get great at production by trying to copy what someone else already did. Because if you know how to copy it, then you have figured out how to get the sounds they got, and then you can use those sounds and techniques in your OWN original settings without having to guess how to get them.

Once again, you already know this, I am just trying to convince others that this is a great(the best in my opinion) way to learn.

This was a great excercise you did by working out this cover tune, but aside from all that, you did an excellent job, and your work here is simply great to listen to.

Not only are you a great player, your production skills are awesome too.

Dave,

Thank you. I really think that your estimation of me as a player is too high though. Honestly, I am just a hometownie hack. I try hard, but a great player,

I really ain't.

I can tell ya one thing though, you should take all references to me out of your post and make a sticky out of it. It represents my philosophy completely to playing. Isaac Newton once said something like this," If I see farther, it is because I am standing on the shoulders of giants."

You post is honestly something every player should go by!

Thank you honestly for your extreme kindness to me Dave,

Gary

• 2 years later...

Archived