G&L unveils the ASAT Classic Alnico

Long Crapper

• Members

That's cool. Strange in that they always offered the ASAT as a Tele that was a bit something else and now they are offereing an ASAT that is more like a Tele though. Not that it is a bad thing. I had a Tribute ASAT and I liked it quite a bit but I did want it to be more classic Tele so I had a custom bridge pickup wound and I got an OLD Lindy Fralin neck pickup for it.

The ASAT was like:

ASAT.jpg

The old Fralin came in this box:

LF2.jpg

and the bridge pickup came like this:

M4.jpg

so, now it is like:

M6.jpg

• Members

That's cool. Strange in that they always offered the ASAT as a Tele that was a bit something else and now they are offereing an ASAT that is more like a Tele though. Not that it is a bad thing. I had a Tribute ASAT and I liked it quite a bit but I did want it to be more classic Tele so I had a custom bridge pickup wound and I got an OLD Lindy Fralin neck pickup for it.

Leo always hated going back to the more Fender-esque models. He was said to have resisted re-modeling the ASAT into a more Tele-esque -- and then having to offer the ASAT Classic -- and he didn't like the idea of the Strat-like Legacy. But, ultimately, the market drove the model releases. Dont know what he would think of the new model, I believe the Legacy had OEM pickups for so long because Leo didn't want to design anything for it originally...but he still offered it.

I have to say though that lately the company seems to be adrift, more and more of their offerings seem generic and without anything distictively G&L about them.

• Members

Seems like a good idea to me. The ASAT is a really nice guitar, and the MFDs are good pickups in their own right, but they don't sound like a traditional Tele. Makes sense for G&L to take what is a good platform and offer a stock set of vintage-style Alnicos when many people out there are buying ASAT Classics and doing pickup swaps.

Archived