Should I hit it? "Prep" archtop (40s maybe 50s content)

Kuz929

• Members

Found this "Prep" archtop on CL. Offered the guy $50 and I think he'll take it. But I he just told me the back laminate is coming off. needs a bit of glue...

What do you guys think? Anyone ever heard of this guitar before?

THese are the only pics I have and the guy said he can't take more :idk:

5N45Kf5Mc3M63F93Hdc7ob2bcccd1eb021ce4.jp

5Gd5V25E93Ef3Fe3L3c7o58efd5050a0f1d79.jp

Here you can see the laminate coming off. its the guitar on the right:

5L25I45O43Ec3N83H2c7o8089ab41c77a140d.jp

• Members

Unless im missing something from the photos I dont see any truss rod and the neck seems bowed. I'd probably not buy it since I couldnt get it to play decent if that is true.

Ohh good call man. Didn't notice that.. granted I could pretty easily reset the neck if I had to, but may be too much work. Ive got a tech at my shop that can do this stuff for me.

anyways I called the guy back and said I would take it... waiting for him to return my call

• Members

That should keep you off the streets for a while.

Be careful with these old "fixer-uppers." You can get a brand new Loar solid spruce hand-carved-top archtop for around $450, so make sure your $50 doesn't end up being what you could have spent on a much nicer piece in the first place.

• Members

That should keep you off the streets for a while.

Be careful with these old "fixer-uppers." You can get a brand new Loar solid spruce hand-carved-top archtop for around $450, so make sure your $50 doesn't end up being what you could have spent on a much nicer piece in the first place.

Honestly, all I plan to do is slap a set of strings on it and bring it everywhere as a beater acoustic :idk: if it doest work for that, maybe someone on Ebay will buy it for $75 :D

Archived