My pickup search is over!!!

gzerninplatz

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Folks-

Thanks again, this thread has been both informative and amusing...now to answer the questions in a couple of posts:

Re the winding method-

Historically, pickups were wound in a single spiral around the outside of the 6 poles. This left the two end poles with windings on only 3 sides, and the 4 inner poles with windings going past them only on two sides. His method is much more complicated and provides much more coverage of all of the poles, which is where the increased harmonic range is supposed to come from. Now, I've never bothered to take on apart to see - all I care about is that they sound noticeably richer in range, without the peaks and valleys some other pickups have, at least to my ears and those of some friends who have heard them. YMMV. etc., etc.

Re the patent-

I've never seen it - he told me it was applied for a while ago, and I honestly don't remember if he ever said it was actually granted or not since then - I mostly only talk to him when I need some new pickups - so I'll just back away and let you speak directly to Ken about that if you would like to. I believe it was, that is why he doesn't need to keep the method secret any more; the patent protects the design.

Re my old account but with no posts till now:

I posted a number of reviews over the years in the Reviews section, for everything from Matchless Amps to Chi Wah Wah wah-wahs...whenever I used a product that was clearly a cut above, I would share my opinion. This time I just did it on the forum section - I figured it was better to do where people would have the opportunity to comment. Little did I know....

Archived