ABY BOX OK for switching between amp cabs?

wanderoo222

• Members

I have two combo amps with external speaker jacks. I want to use an aby splitter to switch between amps to a simgle speaker cab. I currently have to do it manually.Pain in the a$$.I know speaker wire is a heavier gauge than guitar cable. Is it safe do do this?

• Members

No.

You need a switcher that will safely take the load of the amp that is not going to the cabinet. If you use a simple ABY switcher you will fry something.

You need something like the Radial Headbone. They have versions for tube or solid state amps.

• Members

They are all relatively expensive. Framptone is $290; The Bradshaw/CAE version is $1500 (though it allows you to switch up to 6 heads into two switchable cabs)

1.) These are designed for live use, with both amps on. One amp is switched to be speaker cab and the other is switched to a dummy load. You can't run a tube amp without having a load hooked up to the output transformer.

2.) Switching has to be just right to make sure each amp is isolated from one another (you never want both loads going to the same speaker cab at once) at all times but each always sees a load of some sort...all without popping.

3.) Speaker signals are significantly larger than the instrument signals that ABY's are designed to handle. Most ABY box components will fry explosed to the speaker signal.

Archived