Reeves Gabrels | Cure | Reading yesterday.

Jakey

• Members

Many of you recall me posting over the last 3 years the trials and tribulations of my good friend Reeves Gabrels, ex Bowie guitar genius....Reeves semi retired from music due to contracting Lymes desease.....

As some may know, he's lost over 20kgs, gotten over his illness, he's joined the Cure for the summer and last night at Reading they rocked- superb show....spent a lot of time backstage, met Fat Bob, Simon Gallup (remarkably charming man) and Jason the drummer, got a load of RG picks and one off Robert, saw the stage rig (Robert using 2 80w Cubes only! Reeves using 2 DR103 and Cornish pedals- now where did he first come across that little combination ?!?- he intro'ed me to his tech and said 'he's the one to blame for Hiwatts and Cornish!)

I am so pleased for RG- he is truly one of the great guitar innovators- he's in the Belew mould- eccentric but brilliant......

Do hop onto Reeves' Facebook page and 'like'- his new Cornish pedals are up there, his rig and also loads of info on his sig guitars....

He's an icon of our art and deserves our support.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reeves...5779642?ref=ts

Here's his rig: RObert's is visible on the right...

7669698496_32ab714539_o.jpg

7669697008_4de98cc0f4_o.jpg

• Members

The Cure is easily my favorite band. I dig Reeves, but prefer Porl, just for originalities sake. That being said, I'm glad to see him playing with them.

Jason, however, needs to go. He can't hold a candle to Boris, and their music suffers for it, in my opinion.

Hmmm- funny, I emailed Reeves about this very subject an hour ago......actually he's a decent drummer, no Artemis Pyle, but gets a little lost.

(note IMO Andy Anderson > Boris!)

Porl might still be with them if he could have kept it in his pants.....

• Members

Many of you recall me posting over the last 3 years the trials and tribulations of my good friend Reeves Gabrels, ex Bowie guitar genius....Reeves semi retired from music due to contracting Lymes desease.....

As some may know, he's lost over 20kgs, gotten over his illness, he's joined the Cure for the summer and last night at Reading they rocked- superb show....spent a lot of time backstage, met Fat Bob, Simon Gallup (remarkably charming man) and Jason the drummer, got a load of RG picks and one off Robert, saw the stage rig (Robert using 2 80w Cubes only! Reeves using 2 DR103 and Cornish pedals- now where did he first come across that little combination ?!?- he intro'ed me to his tech and said 'he's the one to blame for Hiwatts and Cornish!)

I am so pleased for RG- he is truly one of the great guitar innovators- he's in the Belew mould- eccentric but brilliant......

Do hop onto Reeves' Facebook page and 'like'- his new Cornish pedals are up there, his rig and also loads of info on his sig guitars....

He's an icon of our art and deserves our support.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reeves...5779642?ref=ts

Here's his rig: RObert's is visible on the right...

7669698496_32ab714539_o.jpg

7669697008_4de98cc0f4_o.jpg

glad to hear he's doing better now. i remember the first time i heard tin machine. i thought, "who is this guy on guitar?" quirky and cool and tasteful player. i don't always put him at the top of my favorite players list, but he's always on the list. thank you for sharing!

• Members

Like Bowie, Tin Machine AND the Cure, probably in that order. I just got a RG 2. The thing is monstrous. I did not know he had been ill. Lyme disease sucks. I have friends who have it. Good to see him getting some props. My goal ( or hope) is to get my git signed when he comes near Detroit, if they do. That and to learn to play it better.

• Members

I watched a few videos of the Cure's summer shows and they sounded really good with Reeves. I'm hoping he sticks around after the summer to record with them. Also really like the "Guitars on Tour" series he's been posting on Facebook. (Roger O'Donnell also did a similar thing for his keys rig on his own website)

Interesting comment about Porl... I've been somewhat curious about his departure from the band.

Archived