music videos on MTV

Wrawl

• Members

THAT`S RIGHT! I said it! MTV SUCKS! they don`t play

ANYTHING good at all! IMHO, there is a NEW station that

EVERYBODY needs to get. It`s called VH1 CLASSIC! It rules!

They play EVERYTHING from ASIA, to the DOORS, to RUSH,

DREAM THEATER, all the way to ZZ TOP! They play 60`s, 70`s,

and 80`s music video`s ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT LONG!

Now, there is a catch, I don`t think MOST cable companies have

this channel yet, HOWEVER, it is on DIRECT TV, but you have

to pay an extra $2.50 a month to get this channel, it comes with

the Total Choice Plus package, in that you get 5-7 more

music-choice channels and a couple of more Discovery channels. :cool: I have seen them play: Dream Theater-Pull Me

Under, Molly Hatchet-Satisfied Man, Ratt-Slip Of The Lip, etc.

THIS IS THE BEST STATION TO COME ALONG IN A LONG TIME!

If you can get it, GET IT! IMHO, it`s worth the extra $2.50 a

month:) :D:cool:

• Members

i have to agree...on one idea that "MTV plays music videos?." (they don't when normal people who have to work or go to school are awake.)

and that VH1 classic probably is the best music channel out there now...i saw it for a couple hours, i believe that time it was all live stuff, and i must have seen a couple rush vids..and even though i don't own any of their stuff, it beats the {censored} out of anything on the modern radio these days. and on MTV for that matter. in the words of Jello Biafra, "MTV get off the air."

kyle

• Members

I don't know if the guys on MTV are sellouts, maybe. But I certainly agree that MTV has been just about total crap for a very long time now.

I can't recall seeing any videos lately but I'm sure there must be some at sometime. They need to go but until then the only time I'll watch MTV is when I'm flipping channels and I just happen to flip past the MTV channel.

• Members

A "sellout" is a person who alters their music in order to gain montetary rewards. If you change a song to get more money then you are a sellout, you have exploited your music and your fans. "Sellouts" are people who put on a facade in order to sell their music, they put more impact on image than on music.

MTV sucks and I can no longer stand the fact that it exists. It hurts my brain. VH1 Classic is very good. Oh and the "rock" that MTV does play, is all that Nu-Metal crap that is out there these days.

Side note: I'm so glad Queens of the Stone Age released their new album.

• Members

i think Much Music USA (MMUSA) is the best video channel. It doesnt play as much rap as mtv and mtv2, and it plays more lesser-known bands than any other station that i know of. Of course they still have their share of nu-metal, but hey nobodys perfect.

• Members

Originally posted by Sam Kessler

MTV 2 is really good. they have a ton of new rock stuff on there. At the same time they play a lot of rap(which sucks). IMO, MTV X is the best. They play all rock. All kinds too.

Unfortunetly, I have NEVER heard of MTV X, I do know it`s

NOT on the Direct TV system, so I can`t make a judgement

on that. If anyone knows if and when Direct TV is going to get

this channel, let me know. I also only have Much Music Canada

NOT USA, so I don`t know about that channel either, but I

would think that it is alot like the Canada version, ALTHOUGH

I have to admit I`ve NEVER seen a RUSH video on Much Music

Canada, in the last year or 2. I DO know that back in January

2000 MTV 2 played video`s in alphabettical order, they finish

at the middel of April. They played ALOT of good old video`s

that I havn`t seen in years, I think thats where VH1 Classic

got most of their video`s from.

• Members

Musicians that make it 'big' and get their videos aired on MTV aren't necessarily seelouts, but they aren't not sellouts. Some bands make it big and get lucky, and they aren't sellouts, but some bands who change their music for the corporations, and to make it more radio friendly are usually sellouts.....other bands people say have sold out, never sold out, they just changed their musical preference, and have aged, and therefor their music is different, they never sold out.

People just have this stupid mentality that if they made it bg, then they obviosly sold out.....but no, maybe just maybe people DO like their music...try to think of it that way.

• Members

Originally posted by dave_noosence

Musicians that make it 'big' and get their videos aired on MTV aren't necessarily seelouts, but they aren't not sellouts. Some bands make it big and get lucky, and they aren't sellouts, but some bands who change their music for the corporations, and to make it more radio friendly are usually sellouts.....other bands people say have sold out, never sold out, they just changed their musical preference, and have aged, and therefor their music is different, they never sold out.

People just have this stupid mentality that if they made it bg, then they obviosly sold out.....but no, maybe just maybe people DO like their music...try to think of it that way.

my point was that there aren't ANY real musicians on MTV,,,, MTV itself has sold out... :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by MoosBros

EXACTLY,,,

in addition,, the people on MTV can't be sell-outs,, because they AREN'T even REAL MUSICIANS!

:eek:

My band's video has been played on MTV (and MTV 2) and I would consider us all talented musicians, which is to say "real" musicians. I'm not trying to defend MTV or anything like that, but just because you don't like something doesn't mean the people making it aren't real musicians.

Even someone like Britney Spears sometimes has really talented people (The Neptunes) involved in making her music.

It would be easy to write off everything on MTV as not "real" music or not made by "real" musicians, but it's not that simple.

Archived