Recommend a VERSATILE guitar for ~$1000

MegaMustaine

• Members

If I'm looking for the single most versatile guitar I can get, tonewise, my first choice would be the original Ernie Ball Steve Morse model. Morse has been playing his #1 for probably close to 30 years. I think there are very few electric guitarists who have been as focused on getting the widest variety of sounds in his one guitar. His earlier Frankentele, with a similar pickup configuration, dated back to the early 70s, so I trust his experience. You can even get these sigs with a Floyd, apparently.

http://www.music-man.com/instruments/guitars/steve-morse.html

stevemorse01.jpg

Here's Steve demonstrating the guitar. He calls it a "Swiss Army knife." He also plays and talks about his later model, the Y2D.

[video=youtube;8sfh54RXq4E]

And here's Steve describing the guitar's pickup configuration.

[video=youtube;xbM4iqYDKgc]

Can you tell I'm personally gassing for this guitar? :o

I just did a check of eBay and there's a guy selling a Floyd-equipped Steve Morse model for $1,250, so that's actually in the neighborhood, pricewise.

• Members

I have a Carvin that's HSS and the middle coil is a hot rails. It has a volume and tone knob and 3 switches. Pulling the knobs splits the coils on the hot rails and the humbucker. 3 switches activate individual pickups. The 4th switch reverses the phase on the single coil.

If you can't find your tone in there I can't help you much.

Archived