considering two trades, how much are these guitars worth?

sleewell

• Members

some guy brought an old mustang over to jam last week, i played it an really loved it. i put up a few of my guitars for trade offers and so far am really intrigued by these two offers.

first one is a 1965 mustang, but w non original pickups and tuners. not a huge fan of red guitars but owning a pre cbs fender sounds pretty sweet.

http://s1140.beta.photobucket.com/us...view=slideshow

second one is a CIJ mustang reissue. i love the color and pickups, would put in a tortoise pickguard.

CIJ mustang reissue

how much are these worth and which trade would you do? the first one would be for the studio LP and tele in my sig, the 2nd would be for just the studio.

thanks,

Bill

• Members

I wouldn't do either trade. Prices are all over the map on vintage Mustangs, especially non-original guitars; you might end up getting a fair value out of it, but it's a crapshoot at best. I wouldn't expect to give more than $500 for the RI, and that's if I was totally in love.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by poolshark View Post
I wouldn't do either trade. Prices are all over the map on vintage Mustangs, especially non-original guitars; you might end up getting a fair value out of it, but it's a crapshoot at best. I wouldn't expect to give more than $500 for the RI, and that's if I was totally in love.
thanks a bunch for this reply, i really appreciate it. did you consider the upgrades on the RI with that 500 dollar figure?

are these 60s tributes worth hanging on too at all? its a decent guitar, i dont love or hate it though but am not sure how much they are really worth or if they might be collectable at all down the road.

• Members

The upgrades on the RI aren't really worth anything, IMO. I agree, it's worth $500 tops.
I've seen vintage Mustangs go from $700-1200 depending on condition and color. I'd rate this one closer to $800 maybe due to the non-original parts. I'm no expert though.

I guess it depends on how much your guitars are worth, and how much you play them.

• Members

The upgrades on the RI aren't really worth anything, IMO. I agree, it's worth $500 tops.
I've seen vintage Mustangs go from $700-1200 depending on condition and color. I'd rate this one closer to $800 maybe due to the non-original parts. I'm no expert though.

I guess it depends on how much your guitars are worth, and how much you play them.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Special J View Post

I'd echo this. Mods rarely do much to improve the price of a guitar, and I wouldn't consider the RI Mustang an exception. With the '65, the best I'd hope for is a fair trade, and even that's iffy.

Archived