bare knuckle p-90 pickups.

Amigo

• Members

I'm looking for some humbucker sized p-90s.

has anyone else had any experience with bareknuckle p90s? Also any other good companies I should check out for humbucker sized p90s?

I have an old late 60's to early 70's SG with black p90s. It is my absolute favorite tone, lots of bite, a bit gainy, lots of mid range and very dynamic. Only problem is they are extremely noisy and the sg is a little too flimsy to take on the road, so I wanna stick some p90s that will get me that tone in another guitar.

• Members

I've got a set of the BK Mississippi Queens in an SG and they're among the best I've ever tried. Really responsive pickups, with amazing clarity of tone across all six strings. Lots of tones available - a slight tweak of the vol/tone pots has a massive effect on the sound. Very versatile, but specifically they really nail the, erm, Mississippi Queen / Live at Leeds gnarly P90 tone.

You can order them with an extra wire to reverse polarities and cut hum in the middle switch position. I've not bothered though - they're not as noisy as the single coils in my Strat.

They're not cheap but they're very very good. If you're in the UK then it's a no-brainer - other 'boutique' pick-up winders are generally American and you'll get nailed on import tax.

P1030722.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo

View Post

I'm in Canada. But don't mind ordering {censored} in. Yeah I'm looking for the mid range growl of old p90s, not sure which model would be best tho.

The Mississippi Queens are the model to go for if you're choosing Bareknuckles. I'd wouldn't worry about the price as BKs hold an excellent resale value and are easy to shift if you don't get on with them. Which is very unlikely!

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by Willyguitar View Post
I have just been browsing the same thing. Catswhisker do a HB sized P90, but whereas, I think bareknuckle actually put a p90 in a HB chassis, I think these people make something that is very close to a P90. However, they are 60% of the price, and look to be very good.

http://www.catswhiskerpickups.co.uk/p90.html
Allan Price is very good at P90 styles and his stuff is no frills, again as good as BK at P90s anyway, in the pqast he's sent me stuff gratis to test and not had a duff thing from him yet.

He's sort of like an English Pete Biltoft, as his area is physics/electronics

Archived