Music Is In 4/4 Time & The Other Guitar Player Finger Picks It In 3/4 Time

Bbreaker

• Members

So I'm reading the chart and I hit my intro chord on the 4/4 to wake this guy up.............he doesn't snap to the correct time and continues to do what he wants. We're playing live, so I go with him and the singer is having a bit of a struggle with the lyric time.

After, I approach him and renew the time signature issue. He tells me that this is the way it's done. Don't read the chart....just follow.
:freak:

This is the church group and the deacon leading us in this music doesn't have a clue. He doesn't want to do it correct. It's his way.

BTW, he tells me that I threw him off time.

This has happened before with other tunes.

I'm a stickler for doing things right.

I think I'm gonna bail

I feel your pain! http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2930085-I-finally-left-my-woship-band-today-and-I-feel-liberated!

• Members

I feel your pain!
!

I read most of the responses of your thread...........I can relate to much of what was said.

I actually left this P/W group 7 years ago because one of the singers (who was married) was having an affair with this guy (who was also married). I'm not the holy one so I can withstand the drama of relationships.....but, these people were SO over the top Christian holy rollers. It was Jesus this and I'm married to the will of God..........it was too much. This woman thought this guy was a prophet. I was imagining a Charles Manson thing here. So I left.

I went to another church ministry where talent was top shelf. It gradually decayed to children (who had no musical talent) pushed on us by some heavy $ church contributors and the music minister lost her standards.

I left them.

Two years later, I get a call from my original P/W group that went through a big personnel change. I agree to join with the understanding that my involvement will be minimal.

Now, the music leader is not a musician. He's afraid of doing things as written, skips chords that he refuses to learn and won't listen to me when I explain basic music.

I've grown musically since I was with the original group.

Even though I said my involvement will be minimal, I'm not afraid of 6, maj 7 or 13 chords.

• Members

I read most of the responses of your thread...........I can relate to much of what was said.

I actually left this P/W group 7 years ago because one of the singers (who was married) was having an affair with this guy (who was also married). I'm not the holy one so I can withstand the drama of relationships.....but, these people were SO over the top Christian holy rollers. It was Jesus this and I'm married to the will of God..........it was too much. This woman thought this guy was a prophet. I was imagining a Charles Manson thing here. So I left.

I went to another church ministry where talent was top shelf. It gradually decayed to children (who had no musical talent) pushed on us by some heavy $ church contributors and the music minister lost her standards.

I left them.

Two years later, I get a call from my original P/W group that went through a big personnel change. I agree to join with the understanding that my involvement will be minimal.

Now, the music leader is not a musician. He's afraid of doing things as written, skips chords that he refuses to learn and won't listen to me when I explain basic music.

I've grown musically since I was with the original group.

Even though I said my involvement will be minimal, I'm not afraid of 6, maj 7 or 13 chords.

Do you get paid? I wasn't paid and the only person that was paid was the piano player for the 'big' choir.

I have a drummer friend that gets paid to play and he doesn't have the same issues I had. Maybe the key to having a good, harmonious worship group is to audition potential members. I'm roman catholic and I have yet to play in a 'contemporary' worship group that set some kind of minimum standard for joining the choir. So I'll never see it.

I don't miss the drama or headaches.

• Members

Do you get paid? I wasn't paid and the only person that was paid was the piano player for the 'big' choir.

I have a drummer friend that gets paid to play and he doesn't have the same issues I had. Maybe the key to having a good, harmonious worship group is to audition potential members. I'm roman catholic and I have yet to play in a 'contemporary' worship group that set some kind of minimum standard for joining the choir. So I'll never see it.

I don't miss the drama or headaches.

I don't get paid.............the keyboard player that used to be in this group was paid..........he quit.

• Members

Looks like you have 2 choices, play it his way or bail. IMHO, there's no arguing over time signatures. Music gets practiced and played as written. If the leader wants to rewrite the piece, that's his business. If he gives you a piece in 4/4, you play it in 4/4. If he want's it played in 3/4, then has has to write it in 3/4.

• Members

So I'm reading the chart and I hit my intro chord on the 4/4 to wake this guy up.............he doesn't snap to the correct time and continues to do what he wants. We're playing live, so I go with him and the singer is having a bit of a struggle with the lyric time.

After, I approach him and renew the time signature issue. He tells me that this is the way it's done. Don't read the chart....just follow.
:freak:

This is the church group and the deacon leading us in this music doesn't have a clue. He doesn't want to do it correct. It's his way.

BTW, he tells me that I threw him off time.

This has happened before with other tunes.

I'm a stickler for doing things right.

I think I'm gonna bail.

Here's a proposal: Ask your group if you can record one of your performances. Afterward, sit down with everyone and listen to the performance. It should be obvious to the other guitarist that his timing issue is rubbing with the overall sound. Hopefully, he will be open to constructive criticism

Archived