NGD - So I got one of the Midtowns too

PunkKitty

• Members

I suspect that for a lot of us, to carry the car analogy on, having fret buzz is like a new car that would not idle and stalled at every set of traffic lights. It might only take 30sec adjustment with a screwdriver to fix, but should you have to do that? Taking it to the repair centre is exactly the right thing to do, just like taking the car in my example to the dealer, and if they wouldn't fix the QC issue that slipped through then it should go back.

PK - looks great, congrats.

No disrespect intended, but yeah, lala land. If you and I both buy one of the same model, both set up by the same guy at the factory on the same day, and you find some issue with your set-up, but I think it's absolutely fantastic right out of the box, how could the manufacturer account for that? You hate the relief and low action, but I love it and it fits my playing style perfectly? How the hell is that a QC issue?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Because buzzing frets, at any relief or intonation, is NOT a working product. Especially at the 2/3rd fret.

But that's an opinion, not a fact. I know plenty of people who like their action a certain way that they wouldn't blink an eye over some fret buzz as long as they can't hear it through an amp. And yes, if I myself get a new guitar with some slight fret buzz, I'm not gonna pitch a fit, and I'm certainly not going to consider it a QC issue.

But whatever. You demand perfection regardless of everything that a guitar goes through once it leaves the factory. The thing could be shipped to Australia, gang raped, then shipped to Greenland, and if there's slight fret buzz then the {censored}ing thing it must be a lemon! SEND IT BACK!

Isn't time for you to go start a new good deals thread?!?

• Members

Because buzzing frets, at any relief or intonation, is NOT a working product. Especially at the 2/3rd fret.

I have put perfectly playing guitars away for a few months, then pulled them out of the case and hear fret buzz that wasn't there before. It's just a seasonal change in the humidity and usually an 1/8 to 1/4 turn loosening of the truss rod will fix it. I don't consider anything wrong. FWIW, the last 3 guitars that I have bought have come with a truss rod tool.

It's nice when they come from the factory perfect, but I find that the factory setup is usually a bit high, maybe to account for changes in climate.

BTW, beautiful axe PK. I just ordered a Pelham Blue one.

• Members

I just got my Gibson Midtown. This is one of the nicest guitars I've ever picked up. This one is beautiful. My only problem is that the fretwork has some minor issues. There's a Gibson repair center in Chicago. I'll bring it in for a warranty repair. I'm keeping this one as long as I possibly can.

DSCF6218.jpgDSCF6220.jpg

VERY noice Monica! :thu: P90s are cool. But ya know me, I likes my semi-hollows to be a bit larger bodied. :D

Archived