NVoxAD!

honeyiscool

• Members

Yep, I pretty much sold an all-tube AC15C1 to get a hybrid AC15VR (w/ a Celestion Vintage 30):

I also got a matching chrome stand! It's adorable!

I also have an AC15HW coming my way soon, but I will definitely get a lot of use of this hybrid amp. The normal channel is fantastic.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbeat Son

View Post

HNAD, sounds pretty good! They VR series are pretty light too, aren't they?

With Vintage 30 installed, it's right about 42-43 pounds according to my bathroom scale. With the stock speaker, it was definitely under 40 pounds. Either way, it's very easy to carry up and down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by kit_strong

View Post

Sounds great and I definitely dig the chrome stand.

Thank you! I love the chrome stand. It really does its job well and look great, too.

img0813y.jpg

• Members

thumb.gif

I needed to see this.

I have been looking for a smallish giggable amp so I only have to make one trip from the car. I had my sights set on an all tube dealy(Blues Jr./AC15C1..etc) but wow this thing sounds fantastic and way cheaper. I think I will have to give one of these a rip when I am downtown today.

Thanks for the demo, great playing!

HNAD!

• Members

I haven't had a chance to gig or rehearse with it but I will definitely be taking it to my next gig. I feel that with a Vintage 30 in the amp, it probably has a bit more presence than an AC15C1, probably because of the closed vs. open cab. But it's the same large cabinet, so there's zero boxiness or anything. The birch baffle upgrade that I got might also affect the tone, as well. With this amp, I really think that an upgraded speaker should be part of your budget. The stock speaker is very fizzy and quiet... the Vintage 30 really brought out the quality of the amp. Meanwhile, the C1 comes with a Greenback, which is a quality speaker, though I think I'll take a VR + V30 over a C1 + Greenback. Keep in mind, also, that a C1 has spring reverb and tremolo, whereas the VR has a digital reverb that isn't very good, and no tremolo. In a few days, though, I'll get to shoot it out against a handwired AC15 w/ a Celestion Blue, so if that's the holy grail, we'll see how the VR fares against it.

I think Vox is one of the best companies out there at making SS amps that sound great. They've been doing it since the Super Beatle days.

Archived