NGD-got another RG827QMZ - weird dark coloring on the back of the neck?

Santuzzo

• Members

A somewhat related question: you know how new Ibanez necks have this nice feel as if there was no finish on them? After some months of playing them the neck won't feel like that anymore but will feel like it's lacquered.

Is there an easy way (without having to refinish the neck) to get that initial natural feel back? would steel wool do that?

• Members

A somewhat related question: you know how new Ibanez necks have this nice feel as if there was no finish on them? After some months of playing them the neck won't feel like that anymore but will feel like it's lacquered.

Is there an easy way (without having to refinish the neck) to get that initial natural feel back? would steel wool do that?

I'm not sure what the best product/tool to use is, but it needs to get rough again to get that feel back. The problem is, that when you rough it up you're actually taking off finish, and eventually you'll remove it all if you keep doing it. I just accept that they get glossier with use, as they still feel better than an actual gloss finish.

• Members

I managed to realign the neck, and I am amazed how easy this was indeed.

On one guitar I think I got it realigned so the strings are centered perfectly, just on the other they still are off, but not as much anymore.

What do you guys think:

img0267oi.jpg

and this is the one where I think the strings are still off:

img0271g.jpg

The first one does look great!

• Members

The first one does look great!

Yup, that's the keeper! Sent the other one back, and this one is gonna get a Liquifier and Crunchlab installed.....but I still have to wait one month, because that was the earliest I could get an appointment with the guitar tech I usually have work on my guitars.

• Members

Steel wool to take some of the sheen off the neck. Good job on realigning the necks yourself - I'd have lol'd in my head if you would have sent them back before slacking off the four screws and bumping the necks over a hair.

:thu:

I'm glad I got this advice. I never knew this would be fixed so easily. Learned something new :)

• Members

Guitars are actually pretty easy to work on so long as you don't try and MacGyver anything too much. Shame about these Premiums though; I've got an RG1XXV that, despite me loving, is a {censored}ing mess of a guitar. It's brand-new and I'm already thinking refret
:p

Is that the RG anniversary in the neon color? :love:

Are the frets worn down on it already?

• Members

I've been a Luthier since 1980. I have traveled for 10 of those years. You have no idea how many string misalignment's I've seen. Even on expensive custom shop Fenders (EJ's & SRV's) Don't allow anyone to say they can fix it. This is the most crucial joint on the guitar. The neck should fit tight enough to lift the guitar by the neck & stay together. If you rework that joint, you lose the tone transfer between the neck & body. Write down the serial number & make a hidden mark in the control cavity to ensure your not getting the same guitar back.

• Members

I've been a Luthier since 1980. I have traveled for 10 of those years. You have no idea how many string misalignment's I've seen. Even on expensive custom shop Fenders (EJ's & SRV's) Don't allow anyone to say they can fix it. This is the most crucial joint on the guitar. The neck should fit tight enough to lift the guitar by the neck & stay together. If you rework that joint, you lose the tone transfer between the neck & body. Write down the serial number & make a hidden mark in the control cavity to ensure your not getting the same guitar back.

Thanks.

I did not really re-work the joint other than just loosening the bolts a bit and realigning the neck and tightening the bolts again. That fixed it for me.

I assume by 'reworking' the joint you mean sanding off wood in the neck poket?

Archived