More Ferro Kings pickups vids

wagdog

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wagdog View Post
This is even cooler, check out the tonal difference when he swaps out the fluid chamber thing...

I thought the chamber swapping had fairly minimal impact. It did have some effect but not like a total character change.
Still a cool option to have for the incessant tweaker.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Elias Graves View Post
I thought the chamber swapping had fairly minimal impact. It did have some effect but not like a total character change.
Still a cool option to have for the incessant tweaker.
Definitely a cool option. I like the idea of using different chambers on each pickup for different " tween" strat tones.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
This technology has been in use for quite some time. Back in the day we called it a tone knob.
To some extent, great tonal control can be achieved w/tone and vol knobs.

However, what I've found over the years is that you DO need great pickups to get that control. The strings and pickups are where the sound originates and if those frequencies aren't there, in proper balance, then you can't get those sounds with any amount of tweaking after the fact.

This became very obvious to me as I built and modded amps. The coupling stages between amps usually consist of a single capacitor, or a single capacitor and then some sort of high-pass or low pass filter (i.e. tone shaping). When you strip out a certain frequency range from one stage to the next, it's gone (pretty much) from the signal chain and no amount of filtering and/or amplification of that freq range is going to get it back (in a pleasant fashion anyway).

I guess my point is pickups are a huge part of the tonal puzzle. And the fact that Rick is playing an SX in the first vid (an $80 strat), sort of shows how much of that tonal puzzle pickups make up.

Archived