Two-pickup Strats...

Muddslide

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Muddslide View Post
I've seen this mod done before and wonder at its utility. Not that the Strat can't be a great, versatile guitar with only two pups (and here I'm talking about two single coils--not a double 'bucker "fat" Strat.)

On the recent "Let's see your #1s" thread, at post #116, a forumite named J-E-M shows a pic of his one and only electric, which is a gorgeous creamy Strat with a flat finish beige/black/beige pickguard and just the neck and bridge single coils. He said it covered all the bases he needs a guitar for.

I think Robbie Robertson (of The Band) also had a cople of Strats set up this way.

Has anyone done this, or played a Strat with this configuration? It seems cool, but I also wonder what would get lost in the process and what the benefits--if any--would be for doing this, aside from fewer pickup selections.
FIFY dude smile.gif

Yeah, you loose those inbetween sounds. I simply grew tired of the quack sound, and I never used the mid pu on its own (and sometimes it would get in the way of aggressive picking); so I put together a strat with a pickup config with no redundancy and annoyance - so bye bye mid pickup.

Archived