NGD 2010 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus

dughaze

• Members

Beautiful. Love the look. I'm also curious about the pickup swap. I like my '57s a lot, especially the coil tapped neck one. I have the 490/490 set in an SG, underrated pickups, at least in the neck, the bridge I'm not sure about really, but you have the 498 in it, which is a bit hotter. Still a curious pickup swap, not bad at all, just unusual, but if it sounds good, it sounds good.

• Members

Here's a guess at why he "illogically" went for the 498T over the 57's. I think the pickup swap was because the owner said he had an LP Studio with EMG's in it that did what he needed it to do for now so he was trying to get this guitar in a hotter configuration. I think when it didn't make it a hotter guitar like he had hoped it was easier to let it go to pay some bills.

I am wondering what I am missing by not having the 57's because YOU GUYS KEEP SAYING THEY SOUND SO GOOD....ughhhh. I was shopping hard for a Traditional that had them in it but came across this version with a better look and figured I could just swap out the pickups if these were a problem. They may not be a problem but let's get thru the honeymoon. I think it is Ice Tea.

Thanks for all the compliments guys. Seems I did the right thing.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by noah76

View Post

Traditional Pros (09's) came with BB 3's in the bridge. I really like that pickup also.

with coil splitting. I was looking forward to picking one up with that if I had not bumped into this one.

• Members

It's all about player preference and guitar characteristics when it comes to pickups. Alex Lifeson chose the 498t for his signature LP Axcess model after going through all of Gibson's choices. His tone is very upper mid heavy so it makes sense. When I bought my Lifeson, I assumed that I would eventually tire of the 498, but I didn't count on the fact that the Floyd Rose Trem tends to kill off certain frequencies, especially the all important 2K range. So I was surprised how well it works with that particular guitar.

Archived