Jay Turser Guitars

FarToMany

• Members

As I mentioned in an earlier post, although my Turser 'Hawk' 12 string was a disappointment, as was a Turser 'top of the line' JT155 archtop that I wish I'd never seen, however! I owned a Turser 'Monterey' single pickup archtop that was very nice, and my Turser 'Cruiser' tele thinline copy was also a great deal, especially if a person wanted to upgrade it some.

The five or soTurser guitars I've bought over the past five years have been a mixed bag, with several that seemed fairly exceptional, and a couple that were turds. I bought all of my Tursers online, basically sight unseen. They're something of a crapshoot as to what you'll get buying that way, but none of them were super expensive so the 'risk' isn't all that great.

• Members

I have a JT55 SG copy in purpleburst. Finish and neck are gorgeous. Pickups and such..meh.

Get one used, and then replace the electronics. People say they are crap, but this usually relates to sound. What do you expect from $5 pickups?

As a starter guitar, or backup, and especially a project guitar, they are fantastic.

• Members

The ones i've tried had been on the low end side, My turser V has a cheap laminated body and cheap electronics, but it plays real good and it was cheap, I guess if you don't want a project guitar you would have to look around for quite a while. I just relocated the strap buttons on mine since it was neck heavy.

• Members

I've wanted a double bound Tele for a long time. I was in the GC in Rockville, Maryland a few months ago and they had a double bound Jay Turser Tele copy that was beautiful. I played it and it felt and sounded just fine, very close to my Tele. GC wanted less than $200 for it and I would have bought it on the spot, but they had to hold it for a couple weeks 'til it cleared with the local police as not having been stolen.

• Members

Well yeah, I found that!
:freak:
But I couldn't find the rosewood Tele which is a JTLTRW. And I looked at several.

Yeah, they didn't have a review for the RW specifically, but when I'm interested in a guitar, and they don't have a review of the specific model, I read the reviews of any similar models, that can pretty much tell you what to expect.

• Members

Thanks!

And well, no. I had given up and stopped looking. But then, yesterday, as I laid on my back and stared up at the sky, all of the clouds looked like teles.

I remember what you really wanted was a Nashville, and now that I have one of the new Squier vintage modifieds, you'd have it for a lot less with one of these, another 50.oo to what you are looking to spend and you'd a brand new "Nashville" type guitar.

• Members

I remember what you really wanted was a Nashville, and now that I have one of the new Squier vintage modifieds, you'd have it for a lot less with one of these, another 50.oo to what you are looking to spend and you'd a brand new "Nashville" type guitar.

Naw, seems to good to be true. I'm no fool. :mad:

;)

But seriously, I am thinking about it. I haven't seen one in a shop yet.

• Members

Thanks guys, guess im going to buy the Schecter 12 string then.

That's probably a better choice, as far as a 'budget' solidbody 12 string is concerned, even though they're more money.

A local music store had one of the black/white Schecter 12 strings hanging in their shop several months ago. I didn't play it through an amp, but just 'diddled' around on it for a minute or so unplugged, and I though it had a very nice, low action neck, maybe a tick narrower than the turser at the nut, and IMHO it was a far better looking guitar generally, not so obviously 'low-end' looking as the 'Hawk' seems to appear to be.

Regardless of what you end up getting, good luck with it.

• Members

Kind of OT, but does anyone know if a tele neck would fit in a JT tele copy? I was thinking about getting a JT thinline and putting a MM neck on it.

By the time you do that, you could have bought the whole MIM in the first place. Take the JT neck off and shape the headstock like a Fender. That's what you really want, right? I am doing that right now except I have a guitar shop do th cut and shape for $15.00. Then you have no issues about the shape of the heel and fit.

• Members

I have purchased 3 Jay Tursers. First one was a JT-137 semi-hollow 335 copy. Gorgeous guitar in Cherry sunburst w. flame top. Abalone inlays and multi-ply bindings. Looks fabulous, plays fabulous and is the brightest sounding guitar I have as it's all maple including the neck. Plays like a dream and how many 335's have you seen in Cherry Sunburst? I then bought a Quilted Maple Strat copy. Looked beautiful, but sounded very tinny. Body was thin, too. I sent it back. I bought a sunburst Tele off Ebay from a "dealer" that claimed a complete pro setup on every guitar sold. It arrived looking beautiful w. the gold hardware and pearl pickguard. I plugged it in and it was completely f'd up. I ran the selectro switch from neck to bridge and it was muddy, funky and muddier with a distinct volume drop on the font or back pickup alone. Obviously wired wrong. I sent it back.

1 out of 3 Tursers was a keeper. The Tursers are a crapshoot. Buy the Affinity Butterscotch Tele. It's not flashy but will play the ass off the Jay Turser with no mods. It's a much better guitar.

• Members

Kind of OT, but does anyone know if a tele neck would fit in a JT tele copy? I was thinking about getting a JT thinline and putting a MM neck on it.

I was going to do the same thing with my Turser 'Cruiser' thinline copy because I wanted to have a classic-looking maple fretboard neck rather than the dark rosewood (or whatever it is) of the standard guitar.

I asked a local guitar tech to check out the pocket dimensions of the 'Cruiser' when I had it in his shop having some Fender pickups installed in it.

He said that he thought a MIM Fender neck would go right on the thing without any big problems, but I never followed through on the plan and eventually just sold the guitar.

I have NO idea why Turser just doesn't off that classic guitar type with the maple fretboard. To me, it's a big marketing error to not do so.

• Members

I used to have a Turser Les Paul gold-top copy and it was a surprisingly excellent guitar for the money. I eventually swapped the stock pickups for Gibson and DiMarzio humbuckers and it totally rocked. Tight finances later forced me to sell it, but my Turser experience was nothing but positive.

• 6 years later...
  • Members

I am a Pro Player of 44yrs.Thought I could shed a little insight as to buying these lower budget axes.I have 12+ guitars I say + because I am in a collecting mood as of late.I own high end Fenders tele and strat, Ibanez, Epi sg and Lps',SX isis and Jay Turser walnut sg.When it comes to the so called lower end guitars if you are a dedicated guitarist you can always find one that will fit your world what ever your style with a little checking into.Now let's be for real about these axes to think that you are going to get any guitar and just buy it and all will be right forever in your axe playing world you are either too rich or delussional when it comes to buying guitars.You will always end up tweeking something on a guitar sooner or later to fit you and your guitars' existance.As for JT the walnut sg I just purchased is beautiful. Great feel,sound is not to bad but this is one of the areas that  you will almost always want to update and that goes pretty much across the board with any of the budget models of today.You may also run into having a refretting and setup of the necks swap out the nut bridges and sometimes the tuners.I plan on purchasing a JT serpentine LP.I have experienced hundreds of guitarist in my musical existance with all types of gear ,all ends of the spectrum and it comes down to how do you want to represent your musical existance. Have fun and invest a little.Guitars,Women and Cars they al need the same things.TLC Give them some of that and you got it goin ON. ENJOY    

Ripprock

Archived