In the shop

meandi

• Members

Indeed. I could probably make about 12 guitars with parts i have in my shop right now. I have so many bodies i have started building or have built, but have no use for. I also have a bunch of parts bodies floating around in {censored}ty to decent condition. A shelf of necks. box's of hardware and pickups.

I hear ya!

bodies.jpg

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
That is just so well done.

Thanks.
It turned out pretty well.
I must be getting better at this after about 14 yrs...I've always been highly critical of my own work, but I can't find anything to bitch about on this project. :)

• Members

Every week, in the middle of several projects I've got going for friends (blacktop, alder strat, the maple bodied twins), I put a few hours in on one of my own projects.

It's august & since the beginning of this year, I've done the necks on my 56 re-issue goldtop & the 82 MIJ tele that morphed into what I now affectionately call thu rat rod. :freak:

My buddy, Pete, that I'm doing the striped maple board for, has been obsessing over my art guitar project that I've been on & off of for the past, probably, 6 yrs, depending on where my head was at.
His interest has kinda sparked a re-interest in the guitar on my part, so this morning I've been working on the upper horn where it blends into the laid back cutaway & the layback going back to the lower bout.

The entire project is an exercise in the radius & how they change, vanish, appear & the visual delight when a layback is cut deep enough to expose the maple & mahogany core woods in the body.

ag1.jpg

ag2.jpg

ag3.jpg

ag4.jpg

My symetrical, visual anchor is a 1/2" roundover that will be the body edge in areas where I'm not carving laybacks into the top & back.
I cut that on the router table late last evening.

ag5.jpg

• Members

That'll make a nice looking guitar.

I just weighed mine & it's 6 lbs even.

That's not too bad...maby 8 lbs with the hardware added.

It's one piece too. Very dense and brittle stuff. Not a fan of machining it at all. Gotta have brand new router bits or you'll get some chipping for sure. At least this piece. I'll weigh it someday before i hollow it out. It's gotta be 10lbs as is. I have a 1/4 PH top to go on it. I think it will look nice with black and white binding and a nice oil finish.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hap Mon. :)

Who do you guys use for online hosting for your music?

I've got my pro tools up & running & am beginning to have a working familiarity with it.
Would like to share some of my stuff that I'm doing.

Also, what's the best bang for the buck on studio monitors?

• Members

Hap Mon.
:)

Who do you guys use for online hosting for your music?

I've got my pro tools up & running & am beginning to have a working familiarity with it.

Would like to share some of my stuff that I'm doing.

Also, what's the best bang for the buck on studio monitors?

I use my reverb nation account or the webserver sitting across the room from me...

reverb nation has worked out quite well. I also know many that use and are happy with soundcloud

• Members

Great idea! These are all your own guitars I presume? I do repairs for other people and I've done a few paint jobs for $$ as well. I won't post pics of a customer's guitar. It's an ethics issue. It would be like a gynecologist posting pics of all the diseased vaginae encountered in a day's work.

well, if the owner of aforementioned vagina is not revealed, i see no ethical dilemma

Archived