Does the spacing of the nut change with the bridge?

44caliberKid

• Members

Making my own strat..my first, and kinda made a pretty stupid rookie mistake. Seems the template I got for the trem screws is 2 7/32 as opposed to the modern 2 1/16. Not a big deal Except I already center punched my screw locations before i realized it, so Im stuck with it and gotta buy a new bridge to match..eh, fine ill live with it. I guess Ill just have two strats, a mexi with the modern spacing and now this one I'm building with the vintage spacing. Here's my question, I have a mexi neck on my...well lets call it "Nick-o-caster"... An MZ serial to be specific. Now that I'm using a wider string spacing at the bridge can I still use the same neck? Or Do I have to use a specific neck/nut?

• Members

44caliberKid wrote:

Making my own strat..my first, and kinda made a pretty stupid rookie mistake. Seems the template I got for the trem screws is 2 7/32 as opposed to the modern 2 1/16. Not a big deal Except I already center punched my screw locations before i realized it, so Im stuck with it and gotta buy a new bridge to match..eh, fine ill live with it. I guess Ill just have two strats, a mexi with the modern spacing and now this one I'm building with the vintage spacing. Here's my question, I have a mexi neck on my...well lets call it "Nick-o-caster"... An MZ serial to be specific. Now that I'm using a wider string spacing at the bridge can I still use the same neck? Or Do I have to use a specific neck/nut?

All good, I've never had a problem doing that.  You'll be fine.  The wilkinson vintage from guitarfetish is good if you are looking for a new tremolo as well.

• Members

im pretty sure it doesnt matter. all my teles have the same bridge and they all have different nuts. (USA, MIM, Japan, China)Most guitars, by the first fret the width is the same, this is why I dont understand people that "cant play" on a certain nut width when they are all more or less the same by the first fret. 

• Members

But they aren't more or less the same by tge first fret.

The edges of a neck down the entire length are usually a straight line. So in the example above, we have two different nut widths, one at 2 7/32 and one at 2 2/32, so we have a difference of 5/32 in nut widths between the two guitar examples. Assuming the fisrt fret is " pretty much the same" on the two guitars as you suggest, well then either each neck edga on the skinnier guitar would either have to take a dramatic curve between the nut and the first fret, which you would DEFINITELY notice , in order to make up the 2.5 3/2 difference, and then curve back straight for the rest of the length of the nut, OR, it wouldnt curve back at all, and the neck edge line would just keep going off in the same direction making the neck width at the neck end of the guitar HUGE.

Believe me . The human hands a sensitive insruments, with millions of nerve endings, etc, which enables us to do very precice difficult tasks by hand, like play guitar for example, human hands are quite and definitely capable of feeling the difference in a neck near the nut area that is 5 3/2 " bigger at the nut than another similar guitar.

I think the problem is your generslization that they are pretty much the sake by the first fret.

I argue that you would have to go a good bit further up the neck before you dond feel the diffference anymore

Now, yes maybe this difference neat the nut affects some people differently, some can't stsmd it, some, may very well not be able to notice it is there, but I would say the average guitar playing population would be able to instantly recognise the difference. Whether it actually bothers them or not just depends on the individual.

• Members

Well after a lil deliberation I decided to save myself the money and go wit what I already had- a bridge with a 2 1/16 spacing. I remeasured and used a finer punch first and hit wit a larger punch second so I didn't end up slipping into the old punch marks. And I drilled. Lines up ok. We'll see what happens when I get it all together. Thanks fellas for your insight.

Archived